Flight Following

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there only 3 or so TRSAs in the US? I've been in the black lines before, they were really unhelpful! I asked for FF, they came back with a standby. Two more calls from me, standbys from them later and I was already out of the airspace. They could have at least told me 'unable'...

Anyways isn't it established when a class D tower has an approach control charlie style, but the airport doesn't count as a charlie airport? Or something like that...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is something like 3 or so. Last one I remember was Palm Springs, but I don't know offhand if they upgraded to Class C or not.

Midlife: That's the beauty of the TRSAs, they exist, but with next to no regs to them.

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there only 3 or so TRSAs in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly into 3 quite frequently up here in the northeast.

KYNG (Youngstown, OH)
KELM (Elmira, NY)
KBGM (Binghampton, NY)

[ QUOTE ]
I fly into 3 quite frequently up here in the northeast.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I in the Upper Midwest, just one though.

KFAR (Fargo, ND)

I've flown through two this week here in MI.

KAZO (Kalamazoo, MI)
KMKG (Muskegon, MI)

Both are Class Delta with airline ops.

Here's generally how it works. You must establish permission to enter class B airspace before entering. Once you have been granted flight following or traffic adivisories, you tell the controlling agent for the space that you are in, where you are and where you are going. Once they have agreed to give you this service, your contacts have been established. Here's the catch: they will not always tell you when there is other traffic in your area, and they may not always be able to hand you off to the next controlling agent. However, when you are leaving their airspace, whether it lies within the boundaries of B, C, or D, they will let you know. Generally I have had to request handoffs when the time permits. I have no problems flying from OKC-DFW, establishing radar services right of the bat, never having to think about, 'how far out am I and is it time to call in."

I know here in Miami they always (rarely do they not) tell you to "remain clear of the class bravo". Almost always you can expect to go around it, unless the level of traffic is below normal and they can accomodate you. I've never encountered a time where they have not told me "cleared in the bravo" if I do end up flying through there to get to Tamiami or Fort Lauderdale or wherever I might be going. Anyways, that's my insight from here @ Miami.

Clem

Back