Flight Following from Ground Control

I can tell you that P50(phoenix tracon), doesn't want VFR towers assigning transponder codes for radar services. I have done it a few times but it really depends on who is working at the tracon if they accept it or not. I can say all the FAA towers(not sure about the contracts) in the phoenix have the ability to do it but the tracon doesnt like it. If you are departing out of CHD, that is the pima sector and is a low level sector, and is all about VFR services, so they shouldn't have any problem getting you a code.

It is common practice, and the way I was taught when I was a student pilot, at the airport I fly out of (KDWH) to request VFR flight following on the ground before departure. We're a Class D airport 10 miles or so west of KIAH. We're far enough away from the primary airport to not be within the Bravo airspace where it begins from the surface up. It starts at 2000ft, and when you receive your clearance from ground they tell you your squawk code, the appropriate Houston Approach frequency, and then to maintain VFR below 2000ft until cleared in by approach.

FWIW, I've also requested flight following with ground control at KSJT, taking off from there en route to KAUS.

With that said, I would attempt the request. The worst that can happen is that they deny you and you have to pick it up airborne.

-Nick
Same scenario but on teh opposite side of Houston (EFD). Out of EFD ground has no problem giving me a code and clearance to general direction and remain clear of B, contact appch on XXX.XX. On X countries I've noticed taht Galveston won't do it and neither will College station. No biggie, just call approach myself and ask for the flight following.
BTW pretty cool flying right by downtown Houston at 1500'.

I know that at Stockton Tower, we can get VFR beacon codes for flight following and unless we mess something up, NorCal takes them most of the time.

out of Chandler it should be no big deal. Pima is not a busy sector, and should have no problem issuing it.

out of Gateway (IWA) it should be no big deal. Willie is a busy VFR low sector, but should be able to issue it.

either way, if u call Phoenix Approach after take-off, without having it pre-coordinated you could run into a delay. either the sector will ignore you or you could be put on the backburner for other aircraft that is already in the sector.

my advice...ask ground if they mind coordinating a flight following squawk to Payson with a VFR transition of the Bravo.

good luck.

As you can see, it all depends on which airport you are at, which controller you are talking to, and the equipment and/or procedures at that facility.
At my facility, pilots simply say "request flight following to xxx" on initial contact. The initial contact is important because some controllers are entering you info into the computer as you are relaying it to them, some write it on the strip first, then type as they readback the clearance info to you. If you receive a local VFR code, then request flight following, you may not get handed off to the next facility properly.
Your best bet is to call your local facility and ask them.

GC is the best place to get flight following. Assuming the facility is FDIO (or ARTS/STARS) equipped.

At me facility I get requests for advisories all the time...it's easy to get the code, and it gets sent all the way down the line to every facility that plane will visit (and they will get a strip with all your info). The approach controller has less time to deal with a request like that, so I would actually avoid asking for flight following in the air, unless your coming out of an uncontrolled field.

Back