Flight Dispatchers

Windchill

I am considering getting a Dispatcher's License. I very much want to work for the airlines--working my way up to the flight deck. I do have a flight training slot with the military but don't train for a few more years.

I am interested in Dispatching to hold me over until I leave for training, after training while I build hours, and for getting my foot in the door.

I keep seeing though the airlines I've looked at have "Must be Age 23" for a qualification. I was wondering if this is a legal issue or just some random age they want dispatchers to be. I'm looking at finishing my degree, private license, and dispatcher's license (if I go ahead and get one) by age 22 1/2.

Just curious as to why age 23? Any knowledge of the subject?
confused.gif

The FAR's require you to be at least 23.

Sec. 65.53

Eligibility requirements: General.

(a) To be eligible to take the aircraft dispatcher knowledge test, a person must be at least 21 years of age.
(b) To be eligible for an aircraft dispatcher certificate, a person must --
(1) Be at least 23 years of age;
(2) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language;
(3) Pass the required knowledge test prescribed by §65.55 of this part;
(4) Pass the required practical test prescribed by §65.59 of this part; and
(5) Comply with the requirements of §65.57 of this part.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/FA47C5D5592F077A86256A64004DB4BB?OpenDocument

My advice is, work on getting your A&P mechanic ticket, also your dispatcher ticket, a little later the flight engineer also, and the icing on the cake will be your multi-com-inst pilot. A wallet full of tickets like that will open some big doors. Add a good degree, and you will have set yourself up nicely.

Back