FLG3285 Blown Tire, Comes Back Home after fuel burn

I simply don't think there's a reason to land heavy or dump 80,000 lbs of center tank fuel for something that isn't a pressing issue in the first place. Boeing agrees.

Unless you're on fire, there's little compelling reason to hurry, right?

Pretty much. This scenario depends on the destination too, of course. If we're coming out of Europe at MTOW going to say, Atlanta (a maintenance base for us), you can either dump and air return, or continue. In either case, the tire is already blown, and there's nothing that'll change that. As long as you're not leaking fuel or hydraulic fluid, you're pressurizing normally, and you didn't leave anything on the runway that's not rubber, you might as well continue and deal with it after burning off the fuel normally. Random airbase in the middle of the desert, eh, not so much.

I want to add though, it's the company's jet; if they'd like you to divert, return, etc., and the PIC deems it safe to do so, that's the game plan.

So you would suck the gear up and go on? You're not worried about it getting stuck up there?

So you would suck the gear up and go on? You're not worried about it getting stuck up there?

My point is, there's a good chance you won't notice until ATC says something. At that point, you can either land heavy (not smart with a blown tire), dump fuel, or burn it normally. If nothing is damaged or leaking, there's nothing gained by immediately dropping the gear and dumping fuel.

That's probably true. I wonder if these guys retracted the gear before realizing. If its already up when you realize what has happened then I agree... Just keep going. Of course company may always have their own plans given locations of Mx etc.

That's probably true. I wonder if these guys retracted the gear before realizing. If its already up when you realize what has happened then I agree... Just keep going. Of course company may always have their own plans given locations of Mx etc.
Well, what's the greatest threat? Reduced obstruction clearance because you have the gear down during initial climb, or...?

Well, assuming you did know about it prior to rotation, as long as the tire failure didn't cause damage to your hydraulic systems, it's best to bring the gear up (IMO, after some delay to ensure that the tire isn't on fire).

This is only in relation to my particular aircraft; consult your manuals.

Back