FL440!?

Is that the same as the Dora? (Looks like it to me, but I'm not expert. ) The Germans knew how to build pretty fighters.

The TA (after Kurt Tank) had the same engine but a larger wing than the Dora for the higher altitude. So a side shot is probably confusing.

Both the Dora and the -152 used the Jumo engine which was not a radial engine but rather V-12. The original -190s used the BMW 801 radial. Some say the radial used on the Russian Su-29 and the Yak-55 is a direct descendant of the BMW engine.

Tank fled and went to Argentina where he designed the Pulqui which I think you will recognize looks like another but much more well known fighter. FWIW they both used the same engine.

Copia%20de%20Pulqui02.jpg

[YT]XHrYfjG-Y6c[/YT]

Interesting. Thanks for the lesson. That stretched nose for the V12 gives it a much more balanced, asthetic look than the 190.

So which came first? The MIG 15 or the Pulqui? (I'm guessing the MIG.) It does look fairly similar.

So which came first? The MIG 15 or the Pulqui? (I'm guessing the MIG.) It does look fairly similar.

Obviously they came from the same research but the Russians had more umph and the -15 flew in DEC 48. The Pulqui II in JUN 50. What I did not know until I just looked was the SAAB 29, the Tunnan. flew before either the MiG-15 or the Pulqui. The Swedes put the Tunnan up in SEP 48. Again, very similar design and according to sites, it was actually a very capable fighter for its time.

The Pulqui was the smallest of the three. The Pulqui had the greatest wing sweep at 40deg. The Tunnan the least at 25deg.

This is the Swede's 'barrel'. Like the MiG, note the large wing fence. FWIW, note too cockpit entry is from the right side, not the left as in most US fighters. (check out the ground crew's gear also)

Aero+Show+2008+086.jpg

Back