fixed vs. rotor wing?

donttouchanything

I am seriously considering a change in direction from fixed to rotor wing aircraft. Does anyone have any thoughts about the future employment availability in helicopters?

Yeah, I've checked out the prices and it's steep. But, I've gone for a few helicopters rides and I just was thrilled every time. Also I think the ability to make a living can be just a bit better with less competition.

Check out: http://www.heli.com/

That's a Helicopter school, based on the field I did all my fixed-wing training out. It always seemed that they were pretty busy. A few weeks ago a flight instructor told me, they have 147 enrolled in the Pro-Pilot course.....they must all have robbed a bank to pay for the helicopter training....multiply the (already high) Flightsafety prices by 1.5 and you've got the helicopter rates....

They also have a very high fluctation rate on the instructors; as soon as they reach the 1500hrs.(and they reach it fast with so many students to train!) and have their ATPL passed, they all were hired by offshore oil-companys. One of their intructors even got a job for Exxon-Mobil in Africa, patrolling pipelines. He has to work for 6 weeks in Africa(Angola) - then he's got 6 weeks payed holidays.....

For me it seems that it might be easier at the first sight to get a heli-job, but there are a lot of people currently getting all the pilot's ratings, so the situation might change real soon...you have to be real quick if you want to get a high chance for a job!

Edit: I think they will credit some fixed-wing time towards the helicopter ratings, so you save some $$$ on flying some hours on airplanes(that's what a lot of their students have done during the training; they've always rented the aircraft I was flying in to do some IFR stuff!)

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I think they will credit some fixed-wing time towards the helicopter ratings, so you save some $$$ on flying some hours on airplanes(that's what a lot of their students have done during the training; they've always rented the aircraft I was flying in to do some IFR stuff!)

[/ QUOTE ]

A pilots licence is a pilots license. You get an add on for helicopters, and your total time counts as total time counts as total time. You can add on a commercial helicopter license to your fixed wing license for something like $12,000? That's if you already have a commercial fixed wing.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

P.S. I'm also looking into this route, I'd really like to fly a helicopter for a hospital.

From what I have been told the market for civilian helicopter pilots is ridiculously oversaturated. Much more than the market for pilots. Many of the guys that fly those medivac helicopters have been flying that particular chopter for 10+ years. Most of the jobs that are open are gobbled up by extremely high time military pilots that are retiring from the service.

But on the other hand I would assume a lot of those jobs, like corporate, have to do with who you more than anything. If you start networking you never know what could pop-up in the future

What Mtts said is right on the money. I've had the pleasure to fly in both rotary and fixed-wing military units, and the pilots that were separating from the service with a fixed-wing background ALWAYS had access to more abundant and higher paying jobs.

There are rare exceptions to this of course, but consider the fact that there are so many under-paid Army warrant officer helo pilots, with so much quality flight time, trying to get quality positions after separation from service.

I once considered the switch to helo as well, because of the fun factor. But as a career, it's a simple question of supply and demand.
SF

Seriously consider up-grading your life insurance also.

A helocopter is an accident waiting to happen.
To many moving parts.

On top of that, helocopters dont fly.

They are SO ugly the earth just rejects them.

[ QUOTE ]
They are SO ugly the earth just rejects them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! How sad...

I think helicopters are very, very sexy.
ooo.gif

Back