First time in two years ...

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
I was in a 172 (SP) this Saturday. The first time in two years since I've flown a 172! It hit me a day or two before the flight that the last time I had even been in a 172 was October or November of 2001!

I had forgotten how nice they fly, and how simple they are! lol.

We were doing approaches and it's all of "pull the throttle out" whereas I'm used to "gear, fuel, flaps, throttle, props, mixtures, power changes to keep GS/MDA etc., trim, crap an engine 'magically' failed etc."

It was fun!

Yup.

Well it's a "twin" when it's not friggin' broken!
cool.gif

I can second that. I took a 172 (180HP) up for the Centennial and it was pretty simple and stable and it practically landed itself. Each landing was a greaser! It was pleasant. I usually fly a Cherokee PA-28-180 with my flying club.

After I get back from my Disney xmas/new years vacation, I'm off to the Aviator for twin training and beyond. I'm looking forward to the challenge. Change is good...

cool.gif
Blue Skies...

Do you split time in it with people that are willing? I'm trying to get the rest of my 100 hours of twin by August and was wondering if you would be willing to split time? I'm at 700 hrs and need to crank out the time in the summer.

pilot602... yeah that's fun, huh!

Never flown a twin but going back to the 152 / 172 after flying the Arrow, it's just so much fun and so simple! About the only thing you have to really remember is mixture and flaps as opposed to mix, prop, fuel selector, boost pump, flaps and gear.

Still though, they can kill you just the same so I try not to let the 'simplicity' give me a false sense of security.

[ QUOTE ]
Still though, they can kill you just the same so I try not to let the 'simplicity' give me a false sense of security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I was just along as a safety pilot so I only did a little "in-cruise" flying - no approaches - but there is so much less stuff you can forget!
grin.gif

A few weeks ago I flew a brand new 172 SP out of CRQ. Talk about a fun airplane! You can really feel the difference in power that thing has over the 160 HP 172's and the warriors I have been flying lately.

The arrow on the other hand was a fun airplane. Not much fun to start in the ND cold, but a powerful airplane (compared to the warrior) with two pilots and fuel to the tabs.

[ QUOTE ]
The arrow on the other hand was a fun airplane
a powerful airplane (compared to the warrior) with two pilots and fuel to the tabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 'arrow' do you speak of?
grin.gif

I hear that! My last 40 hours of flying has been all about slogging it out with a twin on instruments. Going to be nice doing some crisp VFR flying in a 172 coming up shortly here, where you can experience the *true* meaning of "full rental power."
wink.gif

RiddlePilot,

what twin are you flying? I have about 10 more hours left in the warrior, then it is on to the seminole. Kind of excited for that, except for the sim time (18 hours of that in the next course). I hate frascas, but not all sims are bad. I flew a CRJ Level D sim last summer, now that was cool.

[ QUOTE ]
What 'arrow' do you speak of?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
I fly a '79 Arrow IV t-tail and the thing is somewhat of a pig. I have a ball flying it, don't get me wrong, but if I wasn't in search of complex time I'd definitely take the Archer on a x/c over it...very little gain in speed so the cost difference doesn't cancel out.

I have pretty much lived in an Archer for the past year, but I love the SPs too. I took one on a x/c MKC (Kansas City Downtown) - SIK (Sikeston, MO Lambert's mmmmmm....
smile.gif
) - K15 (Osage Beach, MO) - MKC about 5 weeks ago and I really enjoyed it, great avionics - I flew the trip IFR (6.1tt, 5.7 actual) and man does it decrease the workload significantly over what I was used to in the Archer.

Sarah

I probably need to get single-engine current, but there is no place around here to rent at a reasonable price anymore.

lruppert,

I flew the Seminole all through my multi, as well as half of my instrument training. I dunno about how you're feeling about it, but I hyped myself up waaaaaaay too much 'bout multi flying. 'Course if you've already been in a CRJ sim...
wink.gif
Good luck though.

Anyways, my single-engine currency has been gone for about a month here. I find it funny that I can legally go fly a complex twin with passengers in IMC, but can I take a 172 around on a severe clear VFR day with passengers? Heck no. Ah well.

I havent flown a 172 in over two years... but I took the 150 heavy up yesterday (that's the long-range tank version
smile.gif
), and man.... the stability of the 172 still burns in my mind. If i can remember correctly, if you can get used to the change in weight, the 172 is a breeze to fly.

[ QUOTE ]
The first time in two years since I've flown a 172!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're better off than I. Its been nearly that long since I've flown a multi. Cripes...no one is going to hire me.
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Back