FIRST SOLO---IFR

[ QUOTE ]
For the pilot planning their x/c flight for the comm rating, you have to be VFR for the entire flight. Check out part 61 on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you don't. Not for the long x/c.(300NM with a one leg being 250NM in a straight line with three stops).

For the shorter solo x/c's - day and night - you must be in VFR. Part 61 specifically states this here:

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.
a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

<font color="blue">(iii) One cross-country flight <font color="red">of at least 2 hours </font> in a single-engine airplane <font color="red">in day VFR conditions </font> , consisting of a total <font color="red">straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles </font> from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight <font color="red">of at least 2 hours </font> in a single-engine airplane <font color="red">in night VFR conditions </font> , consisting of a total straight-line distance of <font color="red">more than 100 nautical miles </font> from the original point of departure; and

</font>

However, for the LONG x/c - it says nothing of VFR. Check it out:

<font color="blue">(i) One cross-country flight of <font color="red">not less than 300 nautical miles total distance </font> , with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; </font>

Now, is it preferable to do the long x/c in VFR? Depends on the pilot.

I, personally, would prefer that it be VFR and am planning as such...

But, as far as the FAR's define the long x/c - no VFR restrictions apply.

R2F

I almost allways do the long XC with my students IFR, they just got their instrument rating might as well use it....

I am planning to fly my long X-Country next week.. I'll be filing IFR too. Spent too much time and money not to use my IR if I can
smile.gif
Anyone flown to Niagra Int ? That will be my stop number 2 after landing at Greater Rochester. Point of origin will be Zanesville OH (KZZV).

[ QUOTE ]
am planning to fly my long X-Country next week.. I'll be filing IFR too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup - me too. When I said that I'd be "planning on it being VFR" I meant -the wx... bot the flight plan. I'll be filing IFR, but expect the wx to be VFR. If it's not, great - I'm already on an IFR flight plan.
wink.gif

I passed my PPL checkride last week, so I don't have quite the experience . . . but while flying at night definately has it's disadvantages, I like it because it's easier to find the other traffic in the area since we're all lit up . . . I have trouble finding traffic in the daytimes, even after tower or approach told me that I have traffic at "some o'clock."

It reassures me a bit to be able to see the other traffic.

Well, FWIW - my Comm. x/c went off BEAUTIFULLY!! Filed IFR, flew and IFR flight plan.. but was in SEVERE CLEAR for 70% of the time.

The leg from TLH to TPF on Sunday was basicall VFR on Top (not that I received that kind of clearance, but I was in blue skies above a thin layer of clouds that blanketed most of FL on Sunday).

Good times. Good times.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a first IFR solo experience Feel free to share it. I like to read other peoples first time IFR runs. How about you Doug? When was yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first SOLO IMC was also, in practicality, my first IMC at all.

And I just logged it two weeks ago on the St. Louis trip.

Prior to the trip I had 0 IMC in my book as I earned my IA rating without a drop of actual. On the outbound leg of the trip (to St. Louis) we hit something like .3 actual - just in and out of a few clouds between Abilene and Springfield. Nothing really major or noteworthy.

However, the day we left to come back I had to get from St. Louis to Decatur, IL and the vis was 2 1/2 miles at both ends (and in between) with mist. So I filed IFR and flew the hour long trip to Decatur in 2 1/2 mile vis, in and out of scuddy little Q and ended the leg with my first approach in actual which because I was solo added a little more "importance" to the feat - at least to me.

Overall I wasn't too apprehensive because it was just low vis and not solid cloud decks I'd be punching through. Overall it was a real confidence boost.

On my second IMC approach I had a Nav 1 (my ILS) failure!
grin.gif

After the trip I ended up loggin just about 3 hour of actual. Not bad for a PHX pilot.
cool.gif

You have the 2003 FAR/AIM right??????? It states the x/c must be VFR..... Believe me, I checked this one. If you don't believe me, check with your local examiner.

[ QUOTE ]
You have the 2003 FAR/AIM right??????? It states the x/c must be VFR..... Believe me, I checked this one. If you don't believe me, check with your local examiner.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 300nm commercial xc does NOT have to be either in VMC or VFR.

Huh, I stand corrected. You're always on the ball SkyGuyEd, when are you getting your CFI?
smile.gif

P.S.- I think it does under Part 141....there was a big stink about it at FSI when I was there.

[ QUOTE ]
Huh, I stand corrected. You're always on the ball SkyGuyEd, when are you getting your CFI?
smile.gif

P.S.- I think it does under Part 141....there was a big stink about it at FSI when I was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, Thanks! Hope the exaimer thinks so too
shocked.gif

As for when, well I got a freakin cold this week so I haven't flown in almost 2
frown.gif
... but all going well, I'll be giving some dual by the end of next month
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Juskl - read the entire thread - no... it does not have to be VFR.

Here's the whole quote from earlier in the thread:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">No, you don't. Not for the long x/c.(300NM with a one leg being 250NM in a straight line with three stops).

For the shorter solo x/c's - day and night - you must be in VFR. Part 61 specifically states this here:

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.
a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, <font color="red">a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating </font> must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane <font color="red">in day VFR conditions </font> , consisting of a <font color="red">total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles </font> from the original point of departure;

(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions , consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

However, for the LONG x/c - it says nothing of VFR. Check it out:

(i) One cross-country flight of <font color="red">not less than 300 nautical miles total distance </font> , with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles;
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does it say you have to be VFR for the 300NM flight??? It doesn't.

Case closed.

Guys, you have GOT to know the FAR's YOURSELF! Don't just believe what your instructor tells you. Look it up.

Ok, Big apology from me, here on this one. I have pulled my cranium from a certain orafice, looked it up in the book, and swollowed a bunch of pride, to include my foot up to my hip. I was WRONG. God, I hate admitting that. But I was big time on this. I think there are too many regs floating around my brain.

Ready2fly is exactly right. Sorry for the confusion or frustration. I will shut up now and read on.....

Though thanks for kicking me in the head and waking me up. I guarantee I will not forget that reg....:)

Back