First or Third Class?

JGriffis

If you were just starting your pilot training and getting your private, would you just get a third class medical or go ahead and get a first class medical? Thanks

Unless you think that there might be a reason you would be denied a first class and you're aiming for a flight career, there really isn't any point in my opinion. If you're in generally good health, correctable vision, etc., no real reason to spend any extra money now.
On the other hand, if you have some medical condition that you feel might be questionable, and you would not do flight training if you were going to be unable to hold a first class, then you might want to go ahead and find out now. That's probably a pretty unlikely scenario, though.

Peace of Mind. That's all what it comes down to. If your long term plan is to become a captain for any airline or to be in the military, I would get the first class medical. My reasoning is simple. You may spend less getting a third class medical for your PP (Private Pilot). However, you may save a lot of money knowing that you can attain a First Class Medical now then finding out when you spent thousands of dollars getting your commercial lisc. or even your air transport lisc..
wink.gif
It all depends what your goals are in aviation.

If you want to make sure you can get a 1st class, go ahead and get one now for the peace of mind. But you wouldn't have to keep it current as a 1st (going back every six months for a 1st gets expensive!), let it lapse to a 2nd & 3rd, and then renew at whatever level you need for where you are in your flying. You save money, and still have the knowledge that you're okay for a 1st when the time comes that you need it.

My only input on this is can you get a 1st and a Student Pilot Cert???
confused.gif
I think the Student Cert only comes with the 3rd class, so you need to get the 3rd class. After you get your PVT, then take the 1st, if you want, but to solo, your Instructor needs to endorse the Student Cert for solo flight, so get the 3rd to start.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of the medicals.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My only input on this is can you get a 1st and a Student Pilot Cert???
confused.gif
I think the Student Cert only comes with the 3rd class, so you need to get the 3rd class.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can get a first with a student pilot cert. Most people just get a third.

There ya go...I learned something new...do you have a reference, as I did a quick look at AOPA and the FAA web sites, and couldn't find anything, but would like to know for future reference.

Thanks.

14 CFR 67 Subpart A & B list the eligibility requirements for a First Class Airman Medical Certificate. Nowhere does it state that a particular level of pilot certificate must be held in order to be eligible for a 1st Class Medical Certificate.

14 CFR 61.23(a)(3) specifies that when exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate, AT LEAST a 3rd Class Medical Certificate is required, implying that a First or Second Class is also acceptable.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
There ya go...I learned something new...do you have a reference, as I did a quick look at AOPA and the FAA web sites, and couldn't find anything, but would like to know for future reference.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a 1st class medical with a student pilot certificate... twice in a year, but that's a different story. As for me, right now I have a special issuance (minor ailment) so I keep getting the 1st class to establish a history of good health and my AME only charges $50.

Check prices, usually a 1st class won't cost too much more than a 3rd class...

I plan to get a 1st class to start,but of course not renew it every 6month... Since if you do not renew your 1st class, it simply turns into a 2nd class, and eventually a 3rd class over time. Like above, peace of mind
cool.gif

I found this Topic very resourceful since I too will be going for my medical soon. I also wondered about 1st or 3rd. The 3rd is going to cost me $75 and the 1st $150 including the EKG. I am planning on an Airline career, so I might as well opt for the 1st class medical to make sure that I am safe to pursue this as a career.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]

Since if you do not renew your 1st class, it simply turns into a 2nd class, and eventually a 3rd class over time. Like above, peace of mind
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an often confused point...

After getting a first class medical...it is still a first class medical for however long the medical is valid for...

If you are under the age of 40...the medical is good for 36 calendar months.

If you are over the age of 40...the medical is good for 24 calendar months.

The medical remains a "first class medical" but first, second, and third class privilages can be used for the first six months...then second and third class privilages can be used for six more months (a total of 12 months)...then only third class privilages for the remaining time, depending on age.

The point is...the privilages expire...not the class of the medical.

[ QUOTE ]
This is an often confused point...

After getting a first class medical...it is still a first class medical for however long the medical is valid for...

If you are under the age of 40...the medical is good for 36 calendar months.

If you are over the age of 40...the medical is good for 24 calendar months.

The medical remains a "first class medical" but first, second, and third class privilages can be used for the first six months...then second and third class privilages can be used for six more months (a total of 12 months)...then only third class privilages for the remaining time, depending on age.

The point is...the privilages expire...not the class of the medical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picky, picky, picky.
grin.gif

Back