First Officer Program

crimsonsky

Hello, I'm new and am enjoying this site. I was looking at the ERAU FO program---12 months in duration, 65k. Seems steep and I think you only finish with 400-500 hours flight time. Has anyone checked it out/done it/interested in it? If Doug is available, I'd love to hear his thoughts on it and anyone else's. You even have to pay for the prelimary, preapplication background check....ouch! I guess, the real question is, how far can a great name take you, all things being equal?

Oh, well I'm always lurking around when I'm not flying. Is it $65K in addition to your training or what's the scoop? But my first thoughts are DAMN that's expensive.

Yeah, that 65k figure is for training from ab-initio to first officer. And as I now understand, you will leave with about 550 hours of flying in approx. 12 months. That doesn't seem to be a competitive amount of flight training for today's market .I guess it would be worth taking on if there was a job at the end of the line and employment prospects were strong in the immediate to near future, but since neither is true, getting that kind of loan is just flat scary. Probably better to go for something a little bit more reasonable. I'm still trying to figure ERAU out. They clearly have a great rep, but for $65k! I feel like that's spending way too much money on myself in one year's time. Especially after spooning out 130K for college.

In my humble opinion, spending $100K on school and then another $65K on flight training in this economy is absolutely nuts. That's approx $165,000 in debt to pay off for a low paying job that you might be stuck in for a long time until the majors start hiring again.

Yow.

I'm most likely going to go to Octoberwest next month and if I run into some management types, I'm going to ask them what they're thinking about this program...

I'm really curious to see what benifits are had for an experienced pilot - for $36,000 what do you get?? Would a regional really hire you preferentially through this??

I did some research out of curiosity and found some stuff:
as an experienced pilot, you end up with 50 hours of CRJ FTD left seat, and 50 hours right seat. 5 hours left and 5 hours right seat in a CRJ level D sim, 20 hours PIC in a Seminole and 20 hours observing in a Seminole. 600 hours of classroom time, and a guaranteed interview with a regional airline (when I asked they said ASA and some other one for sure, and they were working to secure others). I asked them if a low-time pilot (350 hours at the start) would actually have a chance of being hired by a company, and was told because of the tough screening process that airlines would be more inclined to hire you as your ability to work would have already been proven.

Don't know if this is all BS or not, anyone know?

There's a new ad for it in the latest Flying about only 1 in 10 applicants being accepted. The part I really like was this quote: "Don't worry. If we don't accept you, some other school will. Unfortunately, the industry may not."

Looks like there is a pilot shortage coming, what with the airline industry only accepting people graduating from this program and all...

Back