first major crossroads, already?

This would definitely be an easy decision for me. Option B! Take the real job that pays well, and sounds like a lot of fun as well. I'd gladly trade my flying job for a position like that.

I do pretty well DJing for myself. Last year we made upwards of $75,000, of course a lot we invested back into the company but it's almost a full time job. PM for details.

I'd get your DJing act together, get yourself set up to do weddings in the summer, big easy money doing those, and get schools and parties in the fall. Easy, easy easy.

RD

I do pretty well DJing for myself. Last year we made upwards of $75,000, of course a lot we invested back into the company but it's almost a full time job. PM for details.

I'd get your DJing act together, get yourself set up to do weddings in the summer, big easy money doing those, and get schools and parties in the fall. Easy, easy easy.

RD

thats not the kind of DJ'ing i do, but yes my friends who do mobile dj stuff are generally very successful. :)

thats not the kind of DJ'ing i do, but yes my friends who do mobile dj stuff are generally very successful. :)

I gotcha, you roll with the clubstyle stuff? There is good money out there, your times and dates are a little different, but the work is out there, just need to fish for it....hmm sounds like aviation? Get your name out there and respect and clubs will look for you :D

RD

I gotcha, you roll with the clubstyle stuff? There is good money out there, your times and dates are a little different, but the work is out there, just need to fish for it....hmm sounds like aviation? Get your name out there and respect and clubs will look for you :D

RD

right i understand that, been playing records nearly a decade now. put myself through college with it.

certainly wasnt as fun when i had a 4 night-per-week residency and i was managing the promotions for the club too.

dj'ing is my fun hobby. i take it seriously, but its not something i do for a job. i do it because its fun and i have fun with it.

we are digressing from the topic at hand.

well right, i guess its just hard to consider walking away from a job flying, when i put so much time effort and frustration into getting a job flying. :)

if flying jobs werent so hard to come by, i dont think id nearly have the dilemma about walking away from it. ya know?
but in a few years flying jobs will still be around. i would take the security of a better paycheck and benefits for a while until the entire industry (not just airlines) improves

Well good luck with whatever you choose! Remember the sky will always be there for you to come back to!

RD

get the heck out of flying for a living.

QUIT TRYING TO STEAL MY JORB!!

seriously though, advice from everyone is duly noted. its not the response i was expecting. definitely something ill need to chew on for a bit.

JC is awesome.

:)

and like you guys said, maybe i wont "quit flying" but maybe ill end up with more disposable income to kick more butts at aerobatics? who knows...

Try to have your cake and eat it too....take the job in austin. Pay off your student loans and any other debt with that job. If it's possible, do your aerial mapping job (or any other flying job, including instructing :bandit:) part time. The industry is gonna take about 5 years to untangle itself.

During this time, use whatever extra money you have to actually do some fun flying...it'll help your decision when things are looking up and you're in a position to take a pay cut....

Take option B, pay off your debts, save money, get your CFI out of the way, then find someplace you can get paid to teach acro/spin/tailwheel on the weekends.

I'm in a different situation, but I recently made a similar choice. I'm late 30s, with family, and had been steadily moving into aviation as a full time job from nursing. With the economy du toilette, I ended up doing less flying and more working at the hospital since last summer/fall. Then over the winter even the hospital was slowing down, laying off, sending people home early without pay (heavy Big 3 area, people losing jobs and/or health insurance, etc). I managed to fall into a hospital IT job a few months ago that pays more and actually has a bit of job security thanks to the Obamanites and their push towards electronic medical records.
Not my passion, but I get paid well, have decent bennies, and still can do some instructing after work and on weekends.

Back