First Intro Flight, any advice?

flyboywbl

3rd regional in 1 year
I have my first intro flight on Tuesday. I guess it's not really my first but it's my first one with a student who has never flown a plane before. The other one i had was a guy who had 39 hours and was ready to get back into the swing of things and finish up his private. I was just wondering if you guys had any do's and don'ts as this will be my first student and i really don't want to mess it up. She seems like she wants to get into flying but i want to make sure her first experience is a positive one. Any way just wondering what people thought.

Thanks,

-Matt

The instructor played "roller coaster" with me on my intro flight. I loved it, but I've heard it's discouraged for the most part.

I let them do as much of the flying as they can, though the landing is all me. Let them fly over their house if they can, or see something they are interested in. I try to avoid "teaching" them anything on that flight, that is just for fun.

What bdhill said. Let them fly and experiment. Save the teaching for actual lessons. Encourage them to have fun.

Like the above posts, I tend to treat it almost like a scenic ride with the customer holding the controls. Also, you don't want to sound like a salesman, but it's always helpful to bring up the perks of being a pilot.

Make a wager to see who can not puke for the whole flight. That should toughen up their stomach in a flash.

I got an instructor to take my gf on a "formal" intro flight....and she really loved it....she taxied which was HILARIOUS to watch backseat, followed him through on takeoff, did 1 zero G, some turns and climbs and descents, and followed him through on two landings....let them do as much flying as possible, even if they are a little apprehensive! Enjoy!

Thanks guys. Thats one thing you really don't train much for for the CFI ride. It's hard to simulate to, because even thought the CFI can act like a new pilot, it's just not the same. I hope it goes well. I need students!

-Matt

Back