First Flight Airport (KFFA) & C210

MultiComm

Got to stop by the First Flight Airport during my latest work contract! Had a great day for a photo op!

C210-FFA-1.jpg

C210-FFA-2.jpg

C210-FFA-3.jpg

C210-FFA-4.jpg

FFA was supposed to by my first cross country destination, from PHF. We were to leave around 8 or 9 am on a warm summer morning. Wx looked good, things looked good from the ground, so up we went. 15 minutes later we were crossing into ORF's airspace, and the haze was building a lot quicker than normal, and it was pretty dense. This was a looong time ago, so I don't remember our cruise altitude, but it was becoming difficult to discern ground objects... or... the ground. My CFI asks what I thought, if I was comfortable with pressing on. Much to my great dismay (since it was my first cross country, and we were going to FFA), I had to be honest with myself and say that no... it was probably no prudent to press on. So, with a heavy heart, I called up ORF and asked for the 180 back home. :(

To make matters more exciting, after we were cleared for the 180, ORF called a Navy King Air and told them that they had traffic at their 10:00, a C152, at their altitude. Once we made it about 90 degrees around our turn, ORF called us and said we have traffic at our 1:00, a King A... :eek2: HOLY CRAP THERE IT IS! :eek:

That`s a sweet compass you have in that C210, any idea who makes it? and what year is that 210, never saw a 210 with those door handles new 206s have..

One of the best memories of my flying (possibly my life) was flying with an old high school friend up the Outer Banks and stopping at FFA while I was building time for my Commercial. We met the owner and crawled around a B-25 at some podunk field where we stopped for gas, pitched a tent (100% illegally) on the totally deserted beach at Ocracoke, kayaked with dolphins, and visited the Wright Boys Memorial after an exciting approach (for a relatively low-time pilot) down between the trees. Ah, to be Young again. Very jealous!

PS. And that is a beautiful paint job on the 210. Someone got it just right.

That`s a sweet compass you have in that C210, any idea who makes it? and what year is that 210, never saw a 210 with those door handles new 206s have..

It is a 1981 Cessna T210. I am not sure when the change was made on the door handles to the newer style and I can find out the compass info later. The plane is out in the field at the moment so maybe next week I can post back unless I find out before that via some of the aircraft documentation.

Winner! How to get job like this? :)

Just in the right place at the right time. Get to travel all over the country and if I am lucky...see sights like this. I consider this a bonus but don't expect it to happen all the time.

PS. And that is a beautiful paint job on the 210. Someone got it just right.

Thanks for the comment on the paint job! The company painted it to match one of our helicopters (Bell 206 Long Ranger). Kinda wish we had painted the numbers in silver instead of white but hey...can't be too picky!

Handles changed in 80 or 81, I think. Somewhere around there. There aren't too awfully many of the newer ones out there.

Back