First class medical

Mattmorgan28

I am planning on going to flight school soon and understand I must pass a first class medical for this school before enrollment, on the exam you must state if you have failed a drug test before. A few months ago I failed a FAA pre employment drug test for a 145 repair station. Would this show on any medical records or cause me to not get my first class medical certificate?

I am planning on going to flight school soon and understand I must pass a first class medical for this school before enrollment, on the exam you must state if you have failed a drug test before. A few months ago I failed a FAA pre employment drug test for a 145 repair station. Would this show on any medical records or cause me to not get my first class medical certificate?

I would consult with an experienced AME on the subject...but I can tell you you’d have to disclose the failed test on your medical application, and it will most likely be denied as you have to have 2 years “clean” after a failed drug test before they’ll consider issuing you a medical.

Why would you need a 1st class medical? You would only need a 3rd class to get your Private Certificate, which is where you would start.

Also, post in the "Ask a Flight Surgeon" area on this site.

Why would you need a 1st class medical? You would only need a 3rd class to get your Private Certificate, which is where you would start.

Also, post in the "Ask a Flight Surgeon" area on this site.
My guess is that the OP wants to fly professionally. No sense in getting a third class when you can start with a first class which is the standards he will have to abide by. Plus, if he can’t pass a first class, at least he got it out of the way in the beginning and isn’t disappointed later on. No sense in dropping $50K on flight training just to find out he can’t hold a first class medical

Back