First Class Medical and Smoking.

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Hi Doc,
I was just wondering if smoking a few packs a week, just under a pack a day, would affect my getting a 1st class medical.
Probably a stupid question, but i've heard of people getting chest X-Rays.

I guess if this were the case, I'd quit...

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Doc,
I was just wondering if smoking a few packs a week, just under a pack a day, would affect my getting a 1st class medical.
Probably a stupid question, but i've heard of people getting chest X-Rays.

I guess if this were the case, I'd quit...

Thanks.

Mike

Really so you aren't addicted you just do it unless you won't get a medical. So highschool....oh wait.

Really so you aren't addicted you just do it unless you won't get a medical. So highschool....oh wait.
No Mikey,
I have tried to quit a few times, used the patch, tried the gum, and i always end up at the gas station even after telling myself "I'm not going to do it".

I would only find in that the strength to quit, because i live to fly, and have worked very hard to get where im at.

I don't smoke to be cool and only my close friends know I do.

If you met me on the street, unless you saw me smoking, you wouldnt know. I dont smell of it, because i cant stand that smell.

It's a bad habit i picked up.

As a former smoker (6 months of freedom! woo-hoo!), I understand how you must feel. While I didn't experience any problems getting a medical while burning through 1.5 packs a day, I did notice a drastic overall health improvement after quitting.

Things smoking makes worse that you don't have to worry about now (but as a smoker you stand a good chance of worrying about in the future) include:

high blood pressure
diabetes
stroke
heart problems
plus, that whole cancer thing

Not to mention being stinky in close quarters for hours on end with someone else. I know you know this stuff. It's only printed on every pack of smokes you buy. No hurry to quit now, but if you want to retire from a career as a pilot, please consider quitting. Don't give the FAA any excuse to pull your medical. See the JC stop smoking thread for further inspiration.

Good luck and PM me when you're ready to quit. While I won't be able to take away your cravings, I can at least sympathize, offer suggestions, and point you to a great website full of the right combination of education, pictures, and scary true stories.

It won't affect your medical, but down the line the health problems it can cause will put your medical on the line. It's not worth the risk now or ever to me. I'm not telling you what to do, but IMHO it'd be best to quit in order to maximize your time having a medical. If you do decide to quit best of luck to you, I know it's tough.

Back