First Cirrus Impression

ComplexHiAv8r

OK, its been 24 hours since a JC'r got to fly my bird. I'm waiting for the agreed upon write-up. I even will open this to get it started!

Don't make me tell them you broke it! (OOPS) :rolleyes:

Haha, sorry about not doing the write up yet.

The cirrus was fun to fly, but I think being under the hood kinda limited the experience (which was my fault for needing approaches). Flying the glideslope was actually really easy with the aircraft through. Just toss in the first notch of flaps at one dot above glideslope and the aircraft will come right on down the glideslope. During the approaches ATC didn't exactly help as they overshot the localizer twice.

Apparently I somehow broke alternator 2 :p on my second approach. Tracy, don't forget about the squelch issues either and the blasts of ATC in our headsets when trying to fix the squelch :p It happens though, especially when someone else has messed with the settings for the co-pilot.

The aircraft is easy to land. Almost didn't feel the gear touch on my first and only landing in a Cirrus.

I can definitely tell the G1000 is much better than the Avadyne glass as it has everything integrated into the system in the G1000. Most of my flight time is in steam guages so the Avadyne is sill a welcome upgrade.

The other issue was the aileron trim. If I forgot to trim my arm would get tired really fast as it is abnormal to have to trim your ailerons.

The aircraft overall is a good aircraft. I can see it doing 145 to 150 Knots if not a bit faster at altitude . The parachute is always a good option as long as the pilots know when to use it, which in this case, they did. I actually probably would have forgotten about it in an emergency situation. The interior is roomy and it has large rudder pedals (unlike the diamond) so my sketchers didn't get stuck :nana2:. The SR-20 would definately be a good airplane to own, especially for a family, compaired to the other aircraft in its performance range.

Rating 8/10
(the plane isn't allowed to break during a review! 9.5/10 when fixed :p)

Once Alt 2 is fixed maybe I'll be able to get a VFR review of the aircraft :hiya:

Not sure why folks are so quick to knock on Cirrus's. My guess is it make some feel like less of a pilot with the red handle, that and jealousy.

The ALT2 going out was a common problem at my old flight school. They are fairly small and are tucked in the back of the cowling so they get hot. But anyways nice job on breaking it.

It's a hell of a airplane. The 20's can be a bit of a dog on hot days or at high density altitude. They are so conformable though, would take it over a 172 or 182 for a long flight.

We were going to bring the aircraft back to AKR after the flight but we took it back to the shop instead as Tracy flies the aircraft IFR. The VFR stuff isn't an issue, just have to wait for the mechanics to fix the aircraft.

It was the drive shaft on ALT2 that gave way. Remember you indicated the push on takeoff? While that is somewhat normal, I am now thinking that might of been also us over torquing the drive and it going. Should be done today or Monday. Now have to look at schedule to try it again. Maybe even get you 2 more approaches plus some VFR time, but this time I will make sure the MFD isn't on the MAP screen all the time:rolleyes:

Also, I promise not to break your Arrow as bad when we get to go up!

I thought alt 2 was belt driven and alt one was mechanicly driven. My boss bought a new SR 22 G3 w/ Garmin Perspective turbo and Alt 2 has failed in the first 30 hours. (Belt tristed upside down.)

Also the free castering nose wheel seems to shimnie once in a while during landing. but I really love flying it. TAS is close to 200

Also the free castering nose wheel seems to shimnie once in a while during landing. but I really love flying it. TAS is close to 200

Have a service center check the nosewheel and strut assembly, it shouldn't shimmy. Could just be tire inflation or something more significant.

In a strong crosswind the nosewheel can weather vane a bit which is uncomfortable and will cause a shimmy, but in normal landings with moderate crosswinds it just shouldn't shimmy at all.

The turbos especially are pretty nose-heavy and it's easy to doink the nosewheel. Leaving just a hair of power in smooths things out a bit.

I thought alt 2 was belt driven and alt one was mechanicly driven. My boss bought a new SR 22 G3 w/ Garmin Perspective turbo and Alt 2 has failed in the first 30 hours. (Belt tristed upside down.)

Ben ALT 2 is much different in the Cirrus you are flying. In the SR20, ALT 2 is gear driven.

I have only had one opportunity to fly a cirrus. I thought it was a great airplane. Smooth, responsive, and stable. We spent three hours doing approaches in south texas heat and it was very comfortable. The interior was great. As roomy as it was I was amazed how fast it could go. That extra room inside is usually trade off with a lower airspeed.

The turbos especially are pretty nose-heavy and it's easy to doink the nosewheel. Leaving just a hair of power in smooths things out a bit.

Yea, need to keep power in for landing, or the bottom will drop out on the 20 for sure. We were on a bombing run decent (believe it or not we saw the second glideslope (NOT PILOT FAULT, Equipment check). Brett pulled the power and not sure if he heard me or not yelling MORE POWER MORE POWER:panic:when he started his level off and climb. Speed tape was moving faster then I have seen in a while.

Yea, need to keep power in for landing, or the bottom will drop out on the 20 for sure. We were on a bombing run decent (believe it or not we saw the second glideslope (NOT PILOT FAULT, Equipment check). Brett pulled the power and not sure if he heard me or not yelling MORE POWER MORE POWER:panic:when he started his level off and climb. Speed tape was moving faster then I have seen in a while.

The -20s are weird. If you get a little slow it takes a bunch of power to get back on speed.

They sort of sit there for a bit while you feed in more and more power and it just won't speed up, then all of a sudden they're happy again and just blow right past your target speed.

The -22s have enough power on tap that getting slow usually isn't an issue.

I usually time it so the power is at idle right before the mains touch on the -20s and non-turbo -22s. On the turbos, leaving a couple percent in does the trick.

Just drive 'em both down at 80 and when you think you're going to bury the nosewheel in pavement, take a breath then start the roundout and flare while getting the power out. If your power is set properly (~15% in the -22, ~25% in the -20) and you're stable on the glideslope it works great every time. If you're not stable at 200 feet, go around.

And make sure you pull the power lever past the bump near the bottom end of its travel or you'll float all day long. Everybody I've transitioned has pulled it back to the lower bump and thought they were at idle. I usually wait a bit then say "man, where'd all that runway go? Why ain't we coming down?"

Power off approaches are fine in both as long as you keep the speed nailed so you have the proper energy on the airplane. I'd carry an extra few knots in a turbo for a power off to keep that heavy nose from banging down. Let the speed bleed off during a power off and it's a mess that'll probably wind up in a tail strike if you're not careful.

God, I love my job. :)

Yup it was a cheap plastic part for Alt 2. Kinda wonder what Alt 1 is running off of...

Anyway, my second experience flying was much better because I knew what to expect. Aileron trim wasn't a problem and the squelch was much better as well in the aircraft.

It was a fun flight but the airspace around CAK got busy fast. We did a hold at the Akron VOR (ACO) and asked for the LOC into AKR. the controller gave us an initial heading and then forgot about us. We were almost over AKR by the time I could actually talk on the radio to ask if he forgot. It happens, and it wasn't a big problem.

I meant to ask you about the speed. Is the Diamond as slick as the Cirrus both in increasing speed and trying to slow down?

Did you try and call me tonight? I have already turned the phone off, hope for a 5-5:30a wheels up for Detroit, NOT MEXICO :rawk:
Yup it was a cheap plastic part for Alt 2. Kinda wonder what Alt 1 is running off of...

Anyway, my second experience flying was much better because I knew what to expect. Aileron trim wasn't a problem and the squelch was much better as well in the aircraft.

It was a fun flight but the airspace around CAK got busy fast. We did a hold at the Akron VOR (ACO) and asked for the LOC into AKR. the controller gave us an initial heading and then forgot about us. We were almost over AKR by the time I could actually talk on the radio to ask if he forgot. It happens, and it wasn't a big problem.

I meant to ask you about the speed. Is the Diamond as slick as the Cirrus both in increasing speed and trying to slow down?

Did you try and call me tonight? I have already turned the phone off, hope for a 5-5:30a wheels up for Detroit, NOT MEXICO :rawk:

I think slowing down in the Diamond is a bit easier. Over speeding the Cirrus can be easy as I have tried to show you :p Even if you take power out you can easily end up around 150 KTS without even realizing in the cirrus it seemed to me. Once you slow down to 120KTS and get that first notch of flaps in, it gets easier.

Anyway, I tried to call you on the 27th because I was going to thank you again for the IFR stuff as I had to go IFR that night. Had to drive over to KYNG and fly back as the vis sucked everywhere. Also now the Arrow is grounded. Penn Yan had to recall two of the cylinders in the airplane today.

They had a machining error on their end and had to recall a bunch of cylinders. It has been 2 years since the rebuild of the engine and it kinda makes e wonder how many they had to recall. At least they are trying to keep their good name by paying for the replacement cylinders and labor in full.

Over speeding the Cirrus can be easy as I have tried to show you :p
Yes it is, and yes you showed me a few times. Do you remember the speed you were doing the hold at??:drool:

Had to drive over to KYNG and fly back as the vis sucked everywhere.
Glad we got you current. Almost made it to AKR!

Also now the Arrow is grounded. Penn Yan had to recall two of the cylinders in the airplane today.
WOW! How long do you think it will be down?

Back