Finishing dispatch school!

airviationpapii

airviation
Hi everyone, I'm currently four weeks away from getting my dispatch certificate and I just wanted to hear some good pointers and advice from our community. I'm 23, have no experience in the field, no kids and really no big obligations that can stop me from moving out of my city, state, or even country in other words, I'm free to move anywhere where theres work especially bc I want to get my foot in the door.

What should my next step be? I want to weigh my options out before I make any big commitment so anything you guys say will mean a lot.

Whats something you would've done at 23 with a dispatch certificate in hand?

Thank You!

Consider where regional airlines are based and which of those location would be appealing to live. Then start gathering information on pay/cost of living and figure out if it is doable for you.

With the hiring on 121 side currently slowed, you may also want to consider dispatch opportunities in corporate/Part 91.

cargo cargo cargo. When i first started out at I was so set on getting into Delta,United,Southwest,American....thank god that didnt happen. check out smaller cargo airlines such as western global,kallita,atlas..etc...also island hop airlines always sounded like a good time too, best of luck to you.

cargo cargo cargo. When i first started out at I was so set on getting into Delta,United,Southwest,American....thank god that didnt happen. check out smaller cargo airlines such as western global,kallita,atlas..etc...also island hop airlines always sounded like a good time too, best of luck to you.
Thanks I definitely will be!!! Also, would it be a good idea to start looking into "Flight Follower" or Crew Scheduler" positions as well? I eventually want to end up in the main line.

Last edited:
Not sure I would call those smaller cargo airlines.

Hi everyone, I'm currently four weeks away from getting my dispatch certificate and I just wanted to hear some good pointers and advice from our community. I'm 23, have no experience in the field, no kids and really no big obligations that can stop me from moving out of my city, state, or even country in other words, I'm free to move anywhere where theres work especially bc I want to get my foot in the door.

What should my next step be? I want to weigh my options out before I make any big commitment so anything you guys say will mean a lot.

Whats something you would've done at 23 with a dispatch certificate in hand?

Thank You!

1) Develop a resume and a basic format for a cover letter
2) Go to your favorite job hunting website(s) and set up search agents for aircraft dispatcher, flight dispatcher, flight coordinator, etc.; basically any combination of words that will return the kind of job postings you are looking for
3) Do the same with airline websites. Also, if they have a talent community, set up that profile so that you can quickly apply to any job that catches your interest.
4) Network. Arrange to visit as many airline SOCs and operations centers as you can. Contact them and ask if you can have a professional interest/courtesy visit. Dispatch managers are generally open to such visits. Do not discuss job opportunities. When you go, dress as you would for an interview. Do NOT ask for a job, but carry resumes with you
5) Don't focus only on Aircraft Dispatcher jobs. Open your mind to any and all opportunities that look interesting, or for which you have a matching skillset. Accept any and all interview opportunities. You never know what might come out of it. At the very least you'll get interview practice.

1) Develop a resume and a basic format for a cover letter
2) Go to your favorite job hunting website(s) and set up search agents for aircraft dispatcher, flight dispatcher, flight coordinator, etc.; basically any combination of words that will return the kind of job postings you are looking for
3) Do the same with airline websites. Also, if they have a talent community, set up that profile so that you can quickly apply to any job that catches your interest.
4) Network. Arrange to visit as many airline SOCs and operations centers as you can. Contact them and ask if you can have a professional interest/courtesy visit. Dispatch managers are generally open to such visits. Do not discuss job opportunities. When you go, dress as you would for an interview. Do NOT ask for a job, but carry resumes with you
5) Don't focus only on Aircraft Dispatcher jobs. Open your mind to any and all opportunities that look interesting, or for which you have a matching skillset. Accept any and all interview opportunities. You never know what might come out of it. At the very least you'll get interview practice.

The days of an outsider being able to visit an airline ops center might be over. I know of at least two major airlines that for security reasons were cracking down prior to covid on non ops center personnel being in the ops center and were doing things such as restricting tours to larger groups. With covid, tours and individual visits may now be a thing of the past for almost everyone.

The days of an outsider being able to visit an airline ops center might be over. I know of at least two major airlines that for security reasons were cracking down prior to covid on non ops center personnel being in the ops center and were doing things such as restricting tours to larger groups. With covid, tours and individual visits may now be a thing of the past for almost everyone.

This is true where I work. No visitors allowed right now in our NOC due to COVID concerns; it's been like that for almost a year.

That's a fair point. Now I think about it, I've been declined a visit to a place I used to work.

Update: I was just offered an interview with Republic Airways. Any thoughts on the airline? Is it a good place to start for someone who's recently obtained their dispatch license or should I wait on other opportunities? Also what are some key things I should keep in mind when preparing for the interview. Thank you!!

Update: I was just offered an interview with Republic Airways. Any thoughts on the airline? Is it a good place to start for someone who's recently obtained their dispatch license or should I wait on other opportunities? Also what are some key things I should keep in mind when preparing for the interview. Thank you!!
Yes. Any dispatch job is a “good” place to start especially in today’s economy. Just start gaining experience. Once more people start flying and more regionals are hiring, if you don’t like your current work place or location, you can do a parallel move to another regional. But at this time in place take any opportunity you get to get started.

Back