FINISHED!!!!

socal

Well, I managed to break the ATP record. I went from a private pilot with 111 hours and 25 X-Country PIC to a commercially/instrument rated multi/single pilot as well as a CFI, CFII and MEI with 270 hours in just 59 days! During the cross country phase, I flew from as far west as Sacremento to as far east as Jacksonville -- as far north as Manassass to as far south as Miami. I landed in 13 states over the course of three weeks and flew over another five. I now have all of my ratings, and more time in a multi than in a single (145 hours multi/125 single).

Read my post in "For those who know" for a bit more detail. For now, I have just finished taking a well deserved weekend off, and now it's time to start to putting together my resume'.

If you have any other questions about ATP, leave them here and I'll get you a response.

Travis
laugh.gif

SoCal, that ROCKS! I am glad to hear that you finished up so quickly and that you had a positive experience with the program. I have pretty much made up my mind that ATP is going to be my choice, beginning the end of 2002, possibly beginning 2003. I'd love to hear where you go from here. Has ATP said anything about hiring you as an instructor? What are your plans now? Again, though, congrats!

Sean

Nice job! Thanks for the progress reports.

What now? Going to try to CFI for them, CFI at a local FBO, or take a well deserved break for a bit?

Also, let's hear about the Citation ride when you get a chance!

Jeff

Awesome job Travis! Your posts have been very encouraging. I am curious, your post says you recieved around 159 hours with ATP. Don't they say you'll get around 190 hours? That strikes me a bit wrong because at $150/hr for a seminole, the difference is over $4G's. Although, finishing all of those ratings in that amount of time is practically unheard of and is something to be proud of. Anyway, I am still planning on attending ATP, unless something or someone changes my mind. Anyway, if you have a sec, please check out the Interview post section. I have some ?'s on the interview and any input you have would be great. Thanks again.

Hey Tbone. I should hopefully be starting at the Sac school around August too! Perhaps we'll run into each other. Good luck.

Travis - Congrats! That is quite a feat. Like the others, I'm interested to know what happens next. I've decided to go with ATP in Phoenix starting in August (hopefully). Thanks for all your great posts, I enjoyed reading about your progress. It certainly aided in my decision. Best of luck with the job search, let us know how it goes.
Tim

The 159 hours does not include my sim time - 47 hours of that. I probably also have another 20 un-logged hours in the sim. On my time off, I would practice flying from one airport to another solely by reference to the instruments -- and while I was on my way there, I would practice my stalls, VMCs and emergency procedures. The repetative drilling certainly helped me when it came time to stall, VMC, etc. for my checkrides. I found the sim to be invaluable -- even just spending 30 minutes in it and going over and over where every knob and handle is. If you really want to challenge yourself, try going through the checklists with your eyes closed -- it makes doing it with your eyes open a breeze.

As far as where I go from here: I took the weekend off -- slept a lot, ate a lot of sushi, drank a lot of sake and spent some great time with my family. Yesterday I finished my new resume. It was a pretty special feeling putting CFI/CFII/MEI next to my name. I talked to a number of people at ATP about their hiring process. A lot of it has to do with how you do in the program. Do you bust checkrides? Are you a pain in the ass for dispatch on your cross-countrys? Do you get along with people? You are also given a mid-check with the Chief Pilot, Rich Tillery. He is a great guy -- very funny and quite eccentric. But, he is also a hell of a pilot. He'll have a real good idea if you're ATP instructor material after that flight (which includes an engine out on takeoff, single engine landing, steep turns, stalls, VMC, drag demo and an instrument approach). When I asked Rich if they were hiring, he told me that ATP is always looking for good people.

For a number of reasons, ATP will be the first place I send my resume to. I also plan to talk to the FBO's at Santa Monica and Van Nuys. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm excited as hell about wherever the next step of this adventure takes me.

P.S. The Citation ride is a blast!! You fly with Ernie Strange -- who is a really good pilot and a really great guy. We went from Jacksonville to Bowling Green, Ky. I thought flying a jet at 31,000 feet was the most fun I'd ever had -- until I got to do pattern work at Bowling Green! Flying a jet in the pattern at an uncontrolled field is an experience I'll never forget.

I said to Ernie as we flew along at .4 mach that the flight in the Citation de-mystifies flying larger aircraft. Before then, I had no idea how I would move up from the Seminole to the RJ or eventually the 777. After the flight in the Citation, I really understood that flying is flying -- there's more bells and whistles in the larger aircraft, but the basics remain the same.

Travis -

That is nice to hear that some of the 'higher ups' at ATP are good guys and good pilots. Their hiring process and the fact that they are always looking for good people reinforces my decision to attend. I'm single and have the flexibility to move anywhere, so their multiple locations also appeals to me. Also, as an instructor, you can live in the furnished apartments for about $200/mo (if you want).

Anyway Travis, everytime you post it pumps me up more to get rolling at ATP!

From interviewing instructors at Dallas and Phoenix, it sounds like you can take the first available instructor spot, or hold out for a specific location. They also said you can expect to spend some time in Jacksonville manning the phones, but in this market that has to be expected.

Scott - Keep me posted on your plans to attend, perhaps we will run into eachother! How are you going about the writtens? I'm planning to rent the videos, but wondering if anyone has other suggestions. Thanks guys and good luck!

Tim

Tbone,
I bought the Jep Instrument and Commercial books from Sporty's. So I've been studying whenever I can. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. I used Gliem for my private stuff and I found it was a little dumbed down, which is what I like. The Jepp is thorough but the books don't have a whole lot of worked out examples for self teaching. Luckily I have a good friend who is a MEI that can help me out. I think I will go for my Instrument and CFII test at the same time. Same bank of questions. Then go after the others. Let me know when you get a date. I plan on scheduling an interview after I get my 2nd class medical upgraded. For now I'm just gonna fly & study as much as I can until i quit my job.

Back