Financial Preparation...

So maybe I missed it, but other than the estimated $3500/mo, what can I plan for expenses and such? I thought I read in the "green book" that durring training, you would make about 15k. For three months, that seems like plenty?

What am I missing? AHHH! I have bills and debt, so some preparedness (if I get a TOL or PEPC soon) would make this less hectic.

You're looking at closer to 8k over three months (not including taxes).

~21k annum : 3mos= 5250 gross
~30/day per diem : 3 mos= 2700 net

Does anyone know if FAA/ATC personnel are included in the 3.9% pay increase just approved for civil service employees?

I understand everyone’s woes but to put things in perspective...My friends who went to the academy a few years ago informed me that just a year or two ago, there was NO PER DIEM and you were stuck paying your own stay in OKC. At least they are helping now. And you must look at the long run of positives, Good pay, good benefits, job security etc...We should all be lucky to be headed in a great career and thankful for the opportunity. :rolleyes:

You're looking at closer to 8k over three months (not including taxes).

~21k annum : 3mos= 5250 gross
~30/day per diem : 3 mos= 2700 net

You forgot locality pay. If Lefty was headed to LAS/VGT, he'd be getting 13.18% (which aggravates me, because Las Vegas makes as much locality as some hick city).

You forgot locality pay. If Lefty was headed to LAS/VGT, he'd be getting 13.18% (which aggravates me, because Las Vegas makes as much locality as some hick city).

It's included. I don't remember what I used, something around 18%. That's why I said 21 annum instead of 17.

AUS is in that same category too even though it's more expensive than Dallas or Houston. You get paid more at Love field (lower level tower only) with a cheaper COL. Oh well I guess that's why it's not called cost of living allowance.

I will have to say that after 5 years of intensive credit card debt, I finally was able to pay off all but a little bit of it a couple months ago. :D

So now I move back in with the parents, live on their couch while i pocket all my income and I should be ready to go!

All joking aside, I have three paychecks worth of money set aside. Plus no vehicle payments or any of that fun stuff, I should be okay.....

.....for now.

zz :)

AUS is in that same category too even though it's more expensive than Dallas or Houston. You get paid more at Love field (lower level tower only) with a cheaper COL. Oh well I guess that's why it's not called cost of living allowance.

Yeah, but Austin vs. Vegas? C'mon.

Check your math again.

Where's my math wrong? It was a guesstimate, only being off 760 isn't that bad.

Base= 17046
Locality= 18.74%
Total= 20240

Not saying everyone is going to be that rate, but the Dallas locality seemed fairly middle of the road IMO.

Where did you get the $30 a day per diem? I was under the impression of $79.00 or something like that figure?

I dont know, am i the only one that looks at it like $79.00 and not $49.00? Whatever you dont spend on housing is yours right?

I've heard of people being able to make 3k clean and clear while in OK?

Where did you get the $30 a day per diem? I was under the impression of $79.00 or something like that figure?

I dont know, am i the only one that looks at it like $79.00 and not $49.00? Whatever you dont spend on housing is yours right?

The new long-term (16 or more class days) per diem rate is $80.40 per day.

The maximum allowable daily lodging rate is $49.80, not including taxes. You will be responsible for charges in excess of this amount.

You will receive $30.60/day for meals and incidentals. You may submit your initial travel reimbursement voucher 15 days after arriving at the Academy and monthly thereafter.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/education-and-training-okc-cti/74267-atc-students-faq-from-the-faa.html

http://forums.jetcareers.com/traini.../72033-student-services-housing-per-diem.html (update is halfway down page 1)

You no longer get to pocket the excess money from housing.

The new long-term (16 or more class days) per diem rate is $80.40 per day.

The maximum allowable daily lodging rate is $49.80, not including taxes. You will be responsible for charges in excess of this amount.

You will receive $30.60/day for meals and incidentals. You may submit your initial travel reimbursement voucher 15 days after arriving at the Academy and monthly thereafter.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/education-and-training-okc-cti/74267-atc-students-faq-from-the-faa.html

http://forums.jetcareers.com/traini.../72033-student-services-housing-per-diem.html (update is halfway down page 1)

Ok I have a question (raising my hand), When we go to OKC do we get the locality pay for the city we will be transfering to or do we get pay for OKC? :confused:

Wanted to clarify...you still get the FULL $80 per diem if you get a place that is NOT accepting CC. So search out Craig's list. I actually found a place that would be WAY nice for half the FAA housing places, but they want to rent right now and not wait until December :(

Yeah, but Austin vs. Vegas? C'mon.

Well, I assume that's a dig. First of all, I compared it to Dallas and Houston, as you could compare Vegas to DEN, SLC, PHX. Secondly, if I was gonna compare it to Vegas, it wouldn't be that far off. I would love to buy a home in Vegas right now since the bottom fell out. Don't be so small minded, there's a whole world outside of Vegas. It's just another hick town that the Californians drove up the real estate prices.

Well, I assume that's a dig. First of all, I compared it to Dallas and Houston, as you could compare Vegas to DEN, SLC, PHX. Secondly, if I was gonna compare it to Vegas, it wouldn't be that far off. I would love to buy a home in Vegas right now since the bottom fell out. Don't be so small minded, there's a whole world outside of Vegas. It's just another hick town that the Californians drove up the real estate prices.

Now now, brown cow. Cheer up! Vegas has it's ups and downs, just like anyplace. I'm a Californian, transplanted to Vegas for 15 years now. I've been to Dallas and Houston and saw reasons I liked and disliked it, similar to home (LAS).

Now would be the time to buy a house...probably better to buy in a year or so. Don't think we hit the bottom...yet. :(

Back