Financial Aid for flight school

eRiCdWoNg

Alright I'm most likely gonna need financial aid for my flight endeavour unless I can squander the $ outta the parents. They paid for 1 year of going to Univ of Miami and I didnt do that hot so I guess now they say its my turn to pay. so......I know I can get an "education" loan thru my local credit union with an APR around 6.74%. My CFI told me he used salliemae. I was wondering whats the best way to help me finance flight school. My parents will pay for the academics, but the flying time they say is up to me.

Also, any good scholarships/grants available for aspiring and degree seeking pilots whos parents refuse to finance?

If you can get yourself considered a financially independant student you can get FAFSA aid for yourself to cover the cost of education. That is how I am going to be able to pay for my aviation major (flight labs included). Just an idea.

Will they really pay the ENTIRE tab including flight costs????

The reason I still declare myself a dependant is because I was told I'd get more money but I'm not getting jack this year.

Try Pilot Finance, Inc. Just do a google search or something...they seem pretty legit and you have low monthly payements...they go on forever but hey what else ya gonna do? Hope this helps.

Federal Aid will more than likely not pay flight costs unless you have some information I dont. Ive been attending UVSC for 2 years now, and I need a seperate "gap" loan from USBank for that. The fact that you need to be an independant student to get all available aid means that you probably also have housing, food and transportation to pay for which will eat up some resources. If you work, that has to be reported on your FAFSA application, and then your award will be a lower amount.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I still declare myself a dependant is because I was told I'd get more money but I'm not getting jack this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh-uh. You get less money as a dependant, not more.
"Dependant" means your parents can be reasonably expected to pay a portion of your academic expenses. "Independent" means you're 25 or married or a military veteran, and cannot reasonably expect them to contribute.
If you're dependant, your parent(s)' income level is factored into the "Expected Family Contribution." Independant is just your income (and your spouse's income, if you're married).

I don't know if it is because Ohio State University is so big or what it is but they have a special form that I will have to fill out that states that my federal need has increased by X# of $'s. With a greater financial need (which FAFSA aid is based on) I can receive more loans. And yes they are through other means that just the basic stafford etc but the school takes care of that stuff for me. I hope that helps a bit.

Well I knew that. The reason being I was declared as a dependant was because even though I had a crappily paying job my EFC was $0...this year it's something like $7000. Which is NEVER gonna happen. My parents don't contribute anything.

I'm only 21 but from what I've been told I can declare myself an independent...get emancipated and all that. I've lived on my own before. At the moment I live with my grandparents but when I move to go back to school I will totally be on my own again.

Let's just say that the financial aid people I've spoken with don't know anything. I HATE dealing with admin.

That, Ill buy. I wish I couldve gone to OSU. I was born and raised in Mt. Vernon, but I met my wife and moved to her home state. I miss Columbus a lot...I also lived in Bexley for a while....man..the memories. BTW Athena, what FBO's are there in town other than what is at Don Scott? I mean ones that give flight instruction. Im just curious as to how the CFI work is there compared to here.

I'm probbly going to go thru my local credit union for the PPL.

And then for the University level, I'd pursue other aspects as theres much more financial aid available for a 4 year institution.

Back