Finally undertaking my IFR licence

Vector4Food

This job would be easier without all the airplanes
Hey all,

I'm going to be undertaking my IFR licence starting in a week or so. I haven't flown in 15 months, and decided I'm going to take it up again, since the local flight clubs prices dropped on their aircraft, and I have more time.

I'm going to be learning on the DA-40 Diamond Star which is G1000 equipped.

I understand the dangers of single pilot IFR, and I don't intend to go bombing around in actual every day of the week, but I wanted another challenge in life, and I need it to be somewhat affordable.

The DA-40 is almost the perfect (non-icing) single engine IFR airplane.

That being said, I had my sim introduction to the DA-40 today, and learning the basics of the G1000 is easy, but the levels of usefulness are deep and I'd like to learn them at home as much as I can rather than spending money for sim time or flight time, where I'd rather concentrate on procedures, and make the G1000 part second nature.

There's lots of sims you can find on google, from simple ones for FSX aircraft to actual G1000 simulators for large sums of money. Anyone had any success recently with any particular product?

First flight in the DA-40 is tomorrow morning, always been a Cessna/Piper pilot.

I should add, I've been flying since 2000, and have almost 400 hours of flight time, some of it commercial as I spent a summer flying meat bombs in a C182 "Super" (Re-engined) I ended up going down the ATC path as I finished my CPL in 2004, at a time when flying jobs were non-existent, couldn't even work for free rolling fuel drums in the arctic back then. ;)

Thanks for any help.

I have a G1000 computer simulator I got from garmin for like $5. Big monitor and joystick needed.

All yours if I can find it sometime next week. I wouldn't invest much into being an expert on it, you'll pick it up using it anyway.

T
I have a G1000 computer simulator I got from garmin for like $5. Big monitor and joystick needed.

All yours if I can find it sometime next week. I wouldn't invest much into being an expert on it, you'll pick it up using it anyway.
Thanks! I figured I would pick it up, but I thought getting a leg up would help

I used to be a Cessna/Piper guy. But when I started flying the DA-40, I never looked back. Awesome airplane!

I'm also doing my instrument rating in the DA40, but in the steam gauge GNS530,430 version. I love it...

Have fun!

I used to be a Cessna/Piper guy. But when I started flying the DA-40, I never looked back. Awesome airplane!

I'm also doing my instrument rating in the DA40, but in the steam gauge GNS530,430 version. I love it...

Have fun!
Thanks!

Had my first flight in the DA-40 today, what a beautiful little airplane, plenty of power, and very crisp compared to a 172. The G1000 is really amazing to use, so much information, and I'm only using 10% of it. Never thought I'd fly a single engine 4 seater with an Air Data Computer :)

Planes with glass panels are AMAZING to use as far as flying IFR goes but try to get a few flights with some round dials. Always good to be well rounded!! ;)

Back