Finally getting started flying after working on them for 5 years.

Andrew_Neal

Got out of the Marines 6 months ago and moved to Birmingham to work full time in automotive manufacturing so I've been pretty busy... Right up the road I found a school that accepts the post 9/11 GI Bill for fixed wing and rotary flight schools.. AND they work with working adults. It's a 2 year program that takes you through private, commercial, instrument and CFI! I love fixed and helos equally but my background is 5 years as an avionics tech on bell H-1s so I'm a skid kid at heart. Not to mention fixed wing had a waiting list, so helos it is.

My first day of ground school is this evening from 6-9pm and every Thursday night until December, then I fly 2-3 times a week. I'm hoping I'll have a leg up since I've been in aviation for 5 years and already know how 99% of the electrical systems in helos work. My only downfall will be going from turbine mechanics to piston powered with a carb. Cant even begin to say how excited I am about this. I'd like to eventually do it as a career but I know it takes a while to get to 1500 hours so you can actually get a decently paid job. How long did it take some of y'all?

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck man! I thought about doing it years ago, but it was just too expensive after I had just gone to school for atc. I've always loved helo's and their versatility. Once I am sitting a little better financially I'm gonna take a discovery flight and see if it's as fun as it looks from the tower.

@Andrew_Neal I know the program you are talking about and I am also looking into it. I just relocated to the Birmingham area and I am trying to get some information regarding their program. Would you mind PMing me with some info on what you had to do to get started? I was also trying to figure out what the fees were like for both the fixed and rotary wing training. What are your thoughts so far on the program? Any information would be super helpful to me. I have the gi bill available to me as well but mine will only pay 60% of the cost.

Back