Filing taxes as an Expat

Sidious

So my 2 month extension for filing is almost up so its time to get serious about this. I have all my paperwork I need to file but it seems that all the services I've looked at want to charge me as soon as I click on the "Foreign Income" button.

Does anyone know of a tax service online that I can file with for free as an expat?

Thanks in advance

You can download forms from the IRS and do it for free. I would be hard pressed to find someone to do work for free. They only don't charge for 1040ez.

I think it's utter nonsense that the U.S. taxes its citizens even when they live abroad. It's the height of greed.

I think it's utter nonsense that the U.S. taxes its citizens even when they live abroad. It's the height of greed.

Yes, from my research I believe we are the only developed country in the world to do so... At least I fall under the bracket where I do not owe.

I guess I will bite the bullet and pay to have everything filed. Based on my previous record of experience, if I do it myself I will be audited until I die.

Yes, from my research I believe we are the only developed country in the world to do so... At least I fall under the bracket where I do not owe.

I guess I will bite the bullet and pay to have everything filed. Based on my previous record of experience, if I do it myself I will be audited until I die.
Pay the money and get an accountant versed in expat taxes. It is money very well spent. I've been doing this for almost 5 years now, and would not think of doing it myself.
Don't the Brits do that as well?
I could be wrong, but I don't believe they do. I have never heard a Brit saying they still pay taxes in the UK, and we have a lot of Brits over here. As for the rest of the world, I have heard the same thing...we are the only ones who tax people abroad. I call it the tax for the blue passport...

Turbotax does a decent job for the foreign earned income exclusion. You can buy audit protection as part of their package and even with Turbotax deluxe you'd come in under $150.

Expat Brits don't pay. The ones who fly for British Airways while living in France are not expats.

TP

I used tax act and it was pretty easy to fill out it the foreign earned income exclusion. As long as you meet the physical presence test or the bonified residence you should be good.

I always made less than the 96k or whatever that years max exemption was so it was pretty easy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you gonna drive a car, you gots to pay yo' inSHOOOnce.

UK taxes you on worldwide income, which is slightly different to this case.

My only reference was when Lane Price got taxed on his US income and couldn't pony up the cash on Mad Men.

:) (true story, bro!)

Back