Fighter Pilot ANG

TowJoe

You really Schruted that one
I saw a posting for an opening and am contemplating applying. What is there to know? Pretty competative? Any information is much appreciated.

There's a lot to know. Head over to baseops and spend a few days reading the ANG/AFRC forum. These boards are EXTREMELY "competitive." There are usually hundreds of apps, 10 selected for interview, and 1-2 selected. How are your AFOQT/PCSM scores? GPA? Volunteer work?

There's a lot to know. Head over to baseops and spend a few days reading the ANG/AFRC forum. These boards are EXTREMELY "competitive." There are usually hundreds of apps, 10 selected for interview, and 1-2 selected. How are your AFOQT/PCSM scores? GPA? Volunteer work?

Thanks for the response. I just saw the job opening post so I am completely new to the whole process. I am 27 (28 next month, 28.5 is the cuttoff?) Is it possible to get selected with my age? I have some volunteer work, 3.82 GPA, but have not taken the tests. How/where do you take the test?

I sent in for more information from the ANG. I do have asthma, extremely well controlled-never hospitalized. I was wondering if there is a chance at a waiver because I was always under the impression that was disqualifying. I hold a first class FAA medical and have an ATP.

Thanks again and I'll take a look at that board.

Everything you're asking has been answered numerous times on this forum, apc military, as well as on baseops. In fact, there's a large thread about 4 down in this forum on the age subject. It's well worth your time to put in the research.

You need to be in UPT by your 30th bday, and putting a history of asthma on a medical form may be a dealbreaker for you. You're late to the game, but it's not impossible. If you want it bad enough, you'll do the research and beat down every door, call every number, rush every unit, and figure out a way. I busted my ass for years to get a flying job in the Reserves, and it was well worth the effort.

Good luck. 'Merica.

Last edited:
Thanks again, especially for pointing me in the direction of baseops. It looks like I have to talk to my Dr. I've also found a mobility pilot spot and a few other jobs I'd be interested in doing if able to join.

I'll see what the recruiter says when they call or I can stop by the office.

Yea I was gonna tell ya... Asthma has always been a "no go" for mil pilots for as long as I can remember. Its competitive enough without ANY medical strikes against you, let alone asthma.

Yea I was gonna tell ya... Asthma has always been a "no go" for mil pilots for as long as I can remember. Its competitive enough without ANY medical strikes against you, let alone asthma.

Everyone I talked to was very helpful and professional. Thanks for all of the replies!

Back