Fifty Years Ago Today - This didn't get enough news coverage.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
I almost missed the date.

I was a 16 year old High School junior.

Screenshot 2022-09-05 082204.png
Screenshot 2022-09-05 081823.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-05 081823.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-05 081823.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 16
I almost missed the date.

I was a 16 year old High School junior.

View attachment 66854 View attachment 66853
Very Sweet! Good job!

Some call you old. I call you experienced. We should all probably listen a bit more attentively to such as yourself.

Couldn't get if from your pic (at least some things -CFI sigs- haven't changed in all those years). Who was your CFI? Got your ticket at KSDM?

Last edited:
Very Sweet! Good job!

Some call you old. I call you experienced. We should all probably listen a bit more attentively to such as yourself.

Couldn't get if from your pic (at least some things -CFI sigs- haven't changed in all those years). Who was your CFI? Got your ticket at KSDM?
Thanks everyone.

Yes, Brown Field is KSDM, San Diego Municipal.

In those days the airport was pretty remote, the only thing on the mesa, the 805 freeway was a dirt right of way. PSA ran a big flight school at KSDM for JAL. PSA had a rather large fleet, PA-28s, 28Rs, Aztecs and a YS-11, they did touch and goes 7 days a week all day into the night. No customs or corp aviation in those days at KSDM. A lot of GA aircraft on the ramp, one hangar row of maybe 5 hangars on the whole airport. I couldn’t afford to fly more than 2 or 3 days a month, but I hung out at the airport a lot.

I don’t remember the flight instructor’s name, I was flying with explorer scouts and the CFI was who ever volunteered that Saturday or Sunday. I was the first student to solo, they didn’t know what to do with me after my second supervised solo. I had to move to a flight school to complete my PPL training. Earned my comm/Inst/me in ‘76/‘78 at Altus OK while in the AF where I was a RAPCON controller.

How big was your hair and/or collar?!
Hair covered my ears much to my fathers dislike. “You look like a girl”.

Big collars

Before someone asks, big hands.

Last edited:
Low draft number, too. The televised draft "picks," much like current Lotto drawings, was a bitch.

Enlisted in the Air Force out of high school (delayed from June to September) but seemed a better option than a guarantee with the Army in Nam at the time. Closest I got was an 89 day TDY from Galena AFS to Guam in support of missions to the actual combat zone.

It was an interesting time upon which to look back and reflect. No regrets.

Back