Few causes of grumpy FA

Well, you may have a point. My point is that pilots who think that grumpy F/As are caused by PMS OR that F/As are 90% of you problems need to take a look in the mirror.

Because, perhaps, that's what is causing the women to be grumpy in the first place. If you treat your F/As like gold, you'll get repaid in spades. If you treat them like crap, or worse yet, like they're your inferiors, don't expect much on the plane.

And expect to hear them slam/click on the layovers.

Pilots. We're our own worst enemies.
About 2 years ago, I was on a trip with a rude captain. The FA came in and asked him a question, after she left he said under his breath "Why isn't she back in the kitchen where she belongs?" Later in the flight, after responding to a female controller, he said some other derogatory comments about women. He was generally an • with me too. The next time they scheduled me with him, I called scheduling and refused to fly with him, telling them bluntly what happened and that if they did not take me off the trip, I would call out sick. They took me off the trip. I can't believe there are still people out there who judge people by their sex, sexual preference, or color. The FA on that flight was one of the best I have seen. Then again, this guy has been around since the invention of the airplane, and some people will never change.

Yeah, I've heard the "Another empty kitchen" comment more than once. The funny thing is I always think it should refer to me. After all my wife makes twice what I do and I do all the cooking.

Yeah, I've heard the "Another empty kitchen" comment more than once. The funny thing is I always think it should refer to me. After all my wife makes twice what I do and I do all the cooking.

I think context has alot to do with the comments. I joke around with my wife all the time and ask her why shes not in the kitchen and stuff. And Iv flown with female captains that have made the "another empty kitchen" comment. But every time it is obviously a joke and not at all serious.

Does this include the 40% of our FA's that are guys? Should I treat them like ladies too?

The ones that want you to treat them like ladies, sure. . .your call.

But, there are some that are pretty decent gentlemen that I wouldn't have any issues with drinking a few beers and talking about women, or sports, etc.

Flew with a Vietnam Vet, KC-135 Navigator, and Ret. Lt. Col from the Air Force a few days ago. Pretty stand up guy, was great to hear the stories he told us over some drinks. He just got tired of sitting around the house and wanted to travel again.

So - with that being said, I know the stereotype . . .but some male F/As are not flaming.

I've learned that tossing one off a flight for attitude/ professionalism... does not result in kind words.

In fact, it may be safer just to call the cops before opening your mouth.

The ones that want you to treat them like ladies, sure. . .your call.

But, there are some that are pretty decent gentlemen that I wouldn't have any issues with drinking a few beers and talking about women, or sports, etc.

Flew with a Vietnam Vet, KC-135 Navigator, and Ret. Lt. Col from the Air Force a few days ago. Pretty stand up guy, was great to hear the stories he told us over some drinks. He just got tired of sitting around the house and wanted to travel again.

So - with that being said, I know the stereotype . . .but some male F/As are not flaming.
I have had a few really cool male FA's. Married guys, divorced guys, retired guys. I am in no way homophobic, and get along with most of the homosexual FA's too. I take each person individually and never judge them by their sexual preference, color, religion, or anything. There was a guy they hired in CVG a few years back that got all his friends from the gay bar to apply and that is the reason I am told that Comair has a higher than average ratio of gay flight attendants.

I've learned that tossing one off a flight for attitude/ professionalism... does not result in kind words.

In fact, it may be safer just to call the cops before opening your mouth.

Hey, TnT! As an ATS at EWR for Colgan (I think you know who I am--we've flown together several times), I hope you aren't serious about having to do that. That pisses me off and I hope they were dealt with severely. :mad:

If ANY of the Colgan pilots experience that unprofessionalism/attitude, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE report it. Sometimes I think many of you are "too nice" and let things slide. :banghead: We need to weed out the bad apples. Believe me, it will make ALL our lives easier. :)

At our place, one of the gay F/A supervisors ended up on the F/A interview board. He unilaterally rejected a large number of male applicants because they were straight.

One of the simplest things that I live by is that I treat people how I would want to be treated. I also believe that if you put out positive energy that type of energy will be reflected back on to you. The same goes for negative energy.:)

One of the simplest things that I live by is that I treat people how I would want to be treated. I also believe that if you put out positive energy that type of energy will be reflected back on to you. The same goes for negative energy.:)

Correcto.

Ain't that the truth. ;) You can show up to work in a great mood and meet up with a grumpy crew and the day can go downhill fast. :( Conversely, you can show up a little "down" and work with a great, upbeat crew and be smiling and laughing within minutes! :)

Ain't that the truth. ;) You can show up to work in a great mood and meet up with a grumpy crew and the day can go downhill fast. :( Conversely, you can show up a little "down" and work with a great, upbeat crew and be smiling and laughing within minutes! :)

Yep. Just watch how many crews have the life sapped out of them by a CA that does nothing but complain about his schedule or how the company treats their employees. Just for that reason, I try to keep the bitchfest to a minimum.

It's kind of fun to try to be the antithesis of the nega-captain. The game is to see if you can be positive enough to offset the negative vibes of the debbie-downer.

(The interesting aspect of the game is that you, personally, win either way! :) )

Hey, TnT! As an ATS at EWR for Colgan (I think you know who I am--we've flown together several times), I hope you aren't serious about having to do that. That pisses me off and I hope they were dealt with severely. :mad:

If ANY of the Colgan pilots experience that unprofessionalism/attitude, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE report it. Sometimes I think many of you are "too nice" and let things slide. :banghead: We need to weed out the bad apples. Believe me, it will make ALL our lives easier. :)

The offending FA is gone. That i believe was her last day.
i'll tolerate a lot, but if you cross the line far enough to step on my toes, them it's time to set things straight. It's really a shame to see how badly you guys get treated, thats why lots of CA's are pretty leinient i think. At the same time, i've seen FA's take flights when sick because they were afraid of getting written up or some complete BS, and have called sched/inflight immeadiatly on their behalf.

Of course i know who you are.

A great way to make a grumpy FA, is to only pay her the over's, none of the base, and then subract per diem, while junior manning them

I think the captain sets the tone for any trip and depending on his/her mood it can affect the rest of the crew..... it is also my opinion that a good FO can swing/change a CA's perspective/attitude during the first leg while the door is closed and the end result can be an enjoyable trip for all.

All it takes is a little pithy humor and a sprinkle of quagmirisms!:nana2:

Back