Ferry question

Hubbs

Would you take a homebuilt experimental taildragger that you had 0 hours in type on a 1200nm cross country?

Would giving dual instruction to the new owner (a primary student) en route make you more or less inclined to go?

Thanks

Talk to the builder (I am assuming that is who is selling it). Let him have you look at EVERYTHING, logs, plane etc. Have him teach you to fly it, before you blast off in it. Fly it day VFR, (you would be anyway if you are teaching a primary student along the way). If you start to have a funny feeling after seeing the airplane, back down. I'm not a hell yes or a no way, but I'd do it in the right conditions.

Hell yes...

Just be sure to check the plane over and fly it for a couple hours before blasting off across the country. Make sure to have an A&P look over it as well.

Giving primary instruction enroute would not be a significant factor one way or the other for me. The biggest factors in my mind are how much experience you have in similar aircraft and how comfortable you are flying that type of trip in general. How much tailwheel time do you have? How much time do you have in aircraft with similar engines, seating configurations, gross weights, etc.? Will you need to cross mountains or windy regions of the country? If so, how much experience do you have in those environments in similar aircraft? The biggest risk of trips like this comes from stacking too many new factors against yourself at one time. If you break it down in to individual elements and feel comfortable with all of them individually, you're probably ok to go. If you find yourself lacking in more than one or two areas, you're probably better off declining the trip.

Would you take a homebuilt experimental taildragger that you had 0 hours in type on a 1200nm cross country?

C, Only after a VERY through inspection of the aircraft and about 5 hours of flight time in the local area, preferably with the seller or someone who has a lot of time in that type.

Back