Feel that? That's what it feels like to get reamed by the TSA

Re: Feel that? That\'s what it feels like to get reamed by the TSA

[ QUOTE ]
Someone is going to bring a lawsuit against the TSA on this, and it'll eventually get taken to the surpeme court for breaking the constitution. If it is against the constitution it will be corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any portion of the constitution that guarantees the right to carry an airman certificate. Even before this, there have been cases of the FAA taking someones cert without due process, so a precedent has already been set, this just seems to open up even more a lack of trust of those in power. Scary times indeed.

Darren

Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........................you might be right on that one. Happen to know the cases where that happened and how far it was apealed to?

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I have actually read the new regulation word for word. It doesn't look as bad as it has been made out to be, BUT there are some things things that raise the qustion of Constitutiality. The regulation does not specify as to what factors the TSA uses define a "security threat". Also most of the information is gathered form law enforcement agecies, intelligence agencies, informants, and so forth. So since most of this information is classified they will not provide such information to those who are notified. Pretty much as far as background checks go, the TSA has the master list from the FAA that has everysingle airman and those that are applying for one. For those that don't have one, if they are a "security risk", they will be notified and have a chance to plead their case. If their plead isn't satisfactory, then no certificate. The scholls don't have to pay for it, it is done automatically. I found the links on AOPA and I'll try to post them. Hopefully it works. Check them out and read them yourselves. Its pretty dry and somewhat unintelligable if you are not a lawyer, law student, or political science major.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/030123final_rule.pdf
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/030123final_rule2.pdf
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/030123final_rule3.pdf

So why do I get the feeling that if your name is Mohammad Abdullah, and you aren't a citizen, you're not going to be approved, even if you've lived here for 10 years and have a green card?

I have had an interesting thing happen, I don't know if this means anything. When I was working on my private pilot's certificate, I wasn't a US Citizen, I had a green card (now I am a proud US citizen! :)).
Anyway, we keep folders with detailed information on students at my flight school. One day after a flight last year, I noticed that my folder had disappeared. The only people that access the files are instructors and their students. Then a week later, the folder was back where it should have been. My instructor swore that he didn't touch it. I was in my solo phase at that time and hadn't even seen him in a couple of weeks. I wonder if "someone" was going through looking the files. Ha ha ha.
In all seriousness, I don't care if people check up on me. I have nothing to hide. But I am afraid that some people, given too much unchecked power, tend to abuse it. Allowing an agency to set its own rules with no repercussions is kind of scary.

Mahesh

Back