FedEx Pilots Respond to Release of Pilot Fatigue Rule

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
FedEx Pilots Respond to Release of Pilot Fatigue Rule

bwlogo-106x27_044533.gif
Press Release: Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) – 15 hours ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The FedEx Master Executive Council (MEC), the FedEx branch of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), issued the following press release concerning the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) final regulations regarding airline pilot flight- and duty-time limitations and minimum rest requirements.
The release yesterday of the Federal Aviation Administration’s long-awaited science-based fatigue rule for flight and duty time was a political failure. The rule completely ignores the safety of cargo pilots and instead lets operators choose to ignore the safety improvements that will benefit pilots carrying passengers.
Fatigue affects all pilots. Over the first century of powered flight, countless accidents trace pilot fatigue as a contributing factor. “It is outrageous that the new rule does not include cargo. Cargo aircraft operate into the same airspace, into the same crowded airports surrounded by millions of homes and face the same challenges every other professional aviator encounters on a 24-hour basis,” said FedEx MEC Chairman Scott Stratton.
An NTSB spokesman summed it up well: “A tired pilot is a tired pilot, whether there are 10 paying customers on board or 100, whether the payload is passengers or pallets.” As the FAA said in its draft, "Fatigue threatens aviation safety because it increases the risk of pilot error that could lead to an accident." This is particularly a concern for crews that fly "on the back side of the clock." Ironically, the back side of the clock is exactly where the majority of cargo pilots find themselves operating aircraft.
The families of the pilots and passengers who perished in the Colgan Air Flight 3407 operating as Continental Connection accident brought the issue of pilot fatigue to the forefront. Initially, Congress and the FAA acted to address pilot fatigue. However, cargo carrier lobbyists were able to use a protracted backroom process to convince federal policy-makers that somehow cargo pilots and their families were less worthy of fatigue protection. The FedEx MEC is outraged at the casual dismissal of cargo pilots and their families. Industry commenters asserted that, “while a passenger-operation accident can result in numerous fatalities, an all-cargo accident would consist primarily of property damage.” The FAA apparently placed some value on this absurd statement and coldly used it to justify the subordination of cargo families. “This nonsense indicates the character of the political process that produced this rule,” said Captain Stratton. “It is clear that special interest money and politics won over safety today, but we will not sit idly by and allow another 50 years of ambivalence to take hold. Our work to achieve a single level of safety as envisioned by the founding members of the Air Line Pilots Association, International shall continue. There can be no “Scheduling with Safety” without “One Level of Safety.”
Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world's largest pilot union, representing more than 53,000 pilots at 37 airlines in the United States and Canada. Visit the ALPA website at www.alpa.org.

Seems to me cargo pilots would be at the most risk for fatigue issues. Sleep deprived at any time is a bad but I would assert it is worse at 2 am when it is mostly cargo flights up.

Ispent 30 years working for the FFA , and this dose not suprise me at all. its the same old sheet diffrent day.

Seems to me cargo pilots would be at the most risk for fatigue issues. Sleep deprived at any time is a bad but I would assert it is worse at 2 am when it is mostly cargo flights up.

Correcto.

But America wants it's Amazon Prime shipped Kindle as cheaply shipped as possible.

You're assuming Joe Schmo cares how his online Christmas order is shipped...He doesn't, as long as it's free...

Correcto.

But America wants it's Amazon Prime shipped Kindle as cheaply shipped as possible.

Once again, you can't blame the consumer. Just like you can't blame pilot salaries on the public wanting cheap flights, you can't blame cargo schedules on people wanting cheap shipping. The consumers demands hold no water until management/pilots agree to them.

Once again, you can't blame the consumer. Just like you can't blame pilot salaries on the public wanting cheap flights, you can't blame cargo schedules on people wanting cheap shipping. The consumers demands hold no water until management/pilots agree to them.

"But I want my first class service! So what if I bought a coach ticket on Orbitz!" :)

The FAA IS the FFA to queeno. Has been for a long time, with what he's seen in his career.

Sad, maybe if there is a big enough uproar from ALPA and other pilot groups we can get this changed. Fed Ex and UPS pilots, and any other cargo pilot flying on the back side of the clock really are at a much greater risk of fatigue. Circadian rhythm research based my ass. If that was true there is no way they could have just "overlooked" how big of an issue this is... Oh wait, that's because these cargo carriers can afford to stuff the pockets of regulators with millions, but not afford to keep there employees, planes, cargo, and everyone on the ground a little safer.

P.S. Did anyone else see the headline about the UPS pilots associtation suing the FAA because of this, any truth to it?

I never thought I'd quote this site, but as someone on A.net put it:
I'm confused. What difference does it make to safety upfront if the plane's is carrying passengers or cargo? That seems irrelevant to me. That's like saying "it's okay to drive tired or drunk, I'm a courier!".

I wonder if the public is starting to make a connection between "Safety First" and saving money in the industry.

First:
This cargo exemption has nothing to do with the consumer demanding a certain level of service for a certain amount of money. UPS and FEDEX have mostly businesses as customers and those businesses choose how to ship an order. The exemption has everything to do with those cargo companies spending a lot of money in order to derail the fatigue rules. I'm sure the 121 carriers were hoping this hail Mary would knock the fatigue rules out for everyone.

There are those that thought this day would never come. Thankfully they under estimated the power of those 3407 families. Every airline pilot owes those families a big thanks for getting something passed that the pilots could not get done in over 30 years of trying. Common sense, logic and science prevailed here in spite of the politics.

Second:
To exempt the cargo pilots from the fatigue rules is total BS and we all know it. You are either fatigued or you are not fatigued. It has nothing to do with what is in the back of the aircraft.

Third:
On the next contract negotiations, I would hope the cargo pilots would have the balls to insist on having the same level of safety and insist on at least 8 hours of sleep prior to flying a commercial aircraft containing a load of pallets.

Joe

I never thought I'd quote this site, but as someone on A.net put it:

I wonder if the public is starting to make a connection between "Safety First" and saving money in the industry.

I doubt it. It seems like the law only controls the potential for collateral damage. A freighter crashes and the public doesn't really care why. Its forgotten within a few days. The only way to really find out the cause is to check the NTSB site. Now when a passenger plane crashes of course they want answers and to know which airline to try and avoid when surfing on Orbitz and Priceline. Somehow I doubt it would matter to them anyway. $140 will always look better then $150 for a one way ticket.

I doubt it. It seems like the law only controls the potential for collateral damage. A freighter crashes and the public doesn't really care why. Its forgotten within a few days. The only way to really find out the cause is to check the NTSB site. Now when a passenger plane crashes of course they want answers and to know which airline to try and avoid when surfing on Orbitz and Priceline. Somehow I doubt it would matter to them anyway. $140 will always look better then $150 for a one way ticket.
True. Like I always say, First and Business are the bread and butter, the passengers airlines fight over. The other 70% of the passengers fly once or twice a year, and rather than trying to win them over, the only thing that can help you fill up coach is to try not to stick out when they see your logo on Cheaptickets.com. Other than that, the $60 from PHL-MSP goes to the lowest offer.

Chasen,

You might be surprised to know that most passengers flying in first class are not paying for first class. They are sitting up front using upgrades. The number is not public, but less than 20% of those sitting in First Class are paying for a First Class ticket.

There are some business customers flying under a contract that requires they fly in first class. In those cases, their company is picking up the tab for the first class ticket. For example the SAG contracts require first class travel. This is why Alec Baldwin is sitting up in first class playing with his I-Pad. However some lesser known SAG actors will make a deal with the production company to fly in coach and get paid the difference between the coach and first class ticket. However most business people traveling do not have a First Class seat requirement in their employment agreement and so they sit in the back of the plane like most folks do.

The airlines make their money in the coach cabin with a yield management system that extracts as much revenue as possible from each coach seat. This is why you might see a customer with a $600 ticket sitting next to a customer with a $99 ticket. A businessman flying up in the AM and returning in the PM on the same day is going to pay the most for a ticket. The leisure traveler staying over a Saturday night is going to pay less. If the airlines did not have business travelers that pay more for tickets, they could not offer the $99 discount tickets to the leisure travelers.

In the end, the airlines look at those discounted seats as extra revenue that would otherwise be lost if the seat goes out empty. This is why you are seeing airlines dump 30 seats into Priceline the day before a flight is scheduled to take off. If those 30 seats go empty the airline gets nothing. If they can get $99 each for those 30 seats, they just picked up almost $3000 with the only extra expense being fuel. They also get a shot at selling them a higher priced return ticket, some baggage fees and a buy on board meal.

Spirit Airlines took in 50 million dollars in Baggage Carry on Fees from August through November of 2011 from COACH Passengers. That is a lot of revenue and I expect we will see other airlines follow Spirit's lead on this. Sprint's model is to get the passengers on the plane with a cheap ticket and then add any kind of fee that they can think up to extract more $$ out of each passenger. It obviously works.

Again, the price of the airline ticket or the cargo shipment has nothing to do with pilot fatigue.

The new fatigue rules put all airlines on a level playing field. Airlines will not be able to cut corners with the pilot rest requirements. This is good for the passengers that ride in our planes. It's good for the pilots that fly the planes. It's also good for the airlines--they just don't know it yet.

Joe

You're assuming Joe Schmo cares how his online Christmas order is shipped...He doesn't, as long as it's free...

Oh, Joe Schmo very much cares, even if it's free..

I had a guy place an order on the site a few weeks ago, sent me an e-mail less than 24 hours later stating that his order was not to him yet and he wanted it cancelled. He claimed "it has taken several days for the order to ship."

Again, it was less than 24 hours after the order had been placed.

Now, make it appear. NOW!

Back