Fedex Express positions

IADspotter

I hardly ever see any flight operations related positions posted on Fedex Express Careers page. See categories for pilots, aviation maintenance (with hardly any positions posted) and everything else is related to sorting, facilities maintenance, delivery drivers etc.

I understand they are a nice/sort after place to work, but I cannot imagine they donot ever have any postings for the multitude of SOC and other corporate positions beyond just Dispatch (MX Planners, Reliability Analysts, IOE schedulers, SMS/Safety etc.). I believe I once saw a crew scheduler listed, but thats about it. Am I looking at the wrong place? I cannot imagine that an airline as large as this does not need to hire for those roles ever. Please direct me to the appropriate thread, if discussed before.

While they are huge on internal promotions, they have started looking externally to draw in more people with experience. External/Internal posting goes live at the same time. See thread below for an example:

Last edited:
They really want DXs to have some handler time, ramp agent time and if possible ramp tower time. So they are pretty big on internal hirings.

They really want DXs to have some handler time, ramp agent time and if possible ramp tower time. So they are pretty big on internal hirings.

It makes sense. Dispatchers are where the operational decision makers who decide which planes to swap and which flights to cancel come from. If you have worked the low levels of the operation, it gives a certain level of understanding of how those decisions affect everyone in the operation.

Sounds like you’re looking in the right places. They posted externally fairly recently. If cargo is your destination, UPS posts externally too. Atlas has also earned their spot in the top places to work at within the cargo realm and have been hiring after the onslaught of classes from the legacies, FedEx and UPS.

If you want to dispatch for FedEx I would highly recommend getting a part time job throwing boxes so you can be an internal applicant. There are numerous pilots and dispatchers (from Endeavor when they were headquartered in Memphis) that did that and were able to move to either the flight deck or dispatch desk. Like earlier posters mentioned, they like to promote from within.

Former Fedexer here - having worked for FedEx for over 20 years i can tell you most of those roles are probably filled internally. FedEx is huge on internal promotion. I’ve not worked directly in the main hubs though have many connections there, so I assume this is the case.
I am actually starting with FedEx as a driver next week to save for school. Do you have any other insights on how they staff their OCC or how to get an in?

I am actually starting with FedEx as a driver next week to save for school. Do you have any other insights on how they staff their OCC or how to get an in?
My knowledge of the OCC is very limited…. But during my research for my first DX job.. I networked as much as I could through LinkedIn. Had a few conversations with DXers at various airlines, including FDX.

Going to be real with you folks, the biggest air cargo company. It seems like we are always hiring. So your interesting in getting into FedEx as a flight dispatcher. Well people who work on the ramp usually make it into hiring as internals into service recovery. We have seperated ops into flight dispatchers and service recovery dispatchers fyi. Most likely if you come with flight dispatch experience you will be flight. Be fore warned. You will have to live in Memphis and the surround areas unless you commute. Pilots are under negotiations current, current economic grow is slow, and we are non union. One of the only majors to be non union. FedEx works hard to keep them out. Skd is actually 208 days (10 hour skd) 8 actually worked. So 1664 hours. This does not include max of 3 days off for FAM rides and 2 days for recurrent training. Obviously good pay not as high as Southwest lol, but management tries. I feel we need to put more emphasis on flight dispatch. I’m always will to have flight dispatchers come join us. Be forewarned again, you will see we do stuff old school there is not a lot of automation in our flight planning system. We don’t have flight keys or Sabre or anything fancy. Tennessee has low tax and afford living. Nashville is 3 hours away along with fishing and some great camping spots.

Going to be real with you folks, the biggest air cargo company. It seems like we are always hiring. So your interesting in getting into FedEx as a flight dispatcher. Well people who work on the ramp usually make it into hiring as internals into service recovery. We have seperated ops into flight dispatchers and service recovery dispatchers fyi. Most likely if you come with flight dispatch experience you will be flight. Be fore warned. You will have to live in Memphis and the surround areas unless you commute. Pilots are under negotiations current, current economic grow is slow, and we are non union. One of the only majors to be non union. FedEx works hard to keep them out. Skd is actually 208 days (10 hour skd) 8 actually worked. So 1664 hours. This does not include max of 3 days off for FAM rides and 2 days for recurrent training. Obviously good pay not as high as Southwest lol, but management tries. I feel we need to put more emphasis on flight dispatch. I’m always will to have flight dispatchers come join us. Be forewarned again, you will see we do stuff old school there is not a lot of automation in our flight planning system. We don’t have flight keys or Sabre or anything fancy. Tennessee has low tax and afford living. Nashville is 3 hours away along with fishing and some great camping spots.
Thanks for the info. Interesting on the always hiring, I haven’t seen an external posting in some time now but I can see that being an old school promote from within thing too. Regardless, I appreciate the magnitude of their wide-body presence and international footprint. To be fair, there’s folks here who have a thing or two to say about Sabre.. me included… anyways, I’m still keeping a lookout for the next posting.

I hit you up next time they post. I feel they are losing a lot by hiring internally due to Memphis. You don't have a lot a talent in Memphis then you do say in Chicago, Dallas, or Atlanta where the majors are at. It's a drawback. I meant old school flight planning not promote. I think every company does this. Yes the MD11 especially is and will always be irreplaceable I call it a inbetweener lol its it not the 76 or the 77. There is nothing to replace it when it finally sunsets.

Can you define old school? Are you talking pen and paper like on our FAA ADX practicals?

Can you define old school? Are you talking pen and paper like on our FAA ADX practicals?
It’s a custom GUI that feeds the Jepp Engine. Very manual input process when the system goes down. Software is showing its age.

Back