FedEx Caravans

G

Does anyone know what the requirements are in order to fly the Caravan for FedEx? They have more then 500 Caravans so I guess there are a lot of jobs for it.

Just to let you know sence you want to know every thing about aviation you can, they aren't FedEx's Caravan's, there feeder companies that do all the short trips for FedEx. Don't know about the times they have an outfit by me, I'd *guess* 2,000 hours, but that's just a guess.

P.S. I made up a sheet of question's I'll ask you next time we talk.

I'm pretty sure we're talking single pilot 135 ops, so an absolute legal minimum of 1200 total time

I see them all around at fields here in Cali. If no owned by FedEx, why is it plastered all over the side of those aircraft? I've never looked superclose, but it is the only name I've ever seen printed on the things. Not something like "Carrier-is-us, a division of FedEx", but just purple and green, or whatever colors they use new, with big FedEx on the side.

I'd say 135 op, so 1200hrs as well. If you can pick up a job at a jump school, in a caravan, as if that exists, and build time, maybe FedEx would look at ya on the lower end range.

Alex,

I believe Fedex owns the aircraft and subcontracts with several companies to operate them. A friend of mine works for Empire and flys the Caravan. He had no multi or turbine time but had a lot of single engine Cessna time, Alaska experience, and an A and P....plus he was a local boy and maybe knew someone. I think he started at about 35K a year.

[ QUOTE ]
If no owned by FedEx, why is it plastered all over the side of those aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

The very same reason Delta airlines has flights on all of those regional jets, yet they don't operate any of them....it's contracted!

Companies such as Corporate Air and Wiggins Airways operate these flights. Yet another is Empire Airlines , which you can see operates flights under part 135 as well as part 121.

Do the research, and you're see that there are indeed a handfull more of these operators in various parts of the country.

[ QUOTE ]
Alex,

I believe Fedex owns the aircraft and subcontracts with several companies to operate them. A friend of mine works for Empire and flys the Caravan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how that would make any sence
confused.gif
Why spend the money on a Caravan then turn around and ''give'' the aircraft to another company then pay them to fly? That may be what they do, just doesn't make any sence to me.
confused.gif

Because then FedEx does not have to do anything except for pay them. They don't have to hire extra schedulers, people to maintain the planes, fly them, or all the other BS that comes along with operating an aircraft. FedEx buys the planes, and does not GIVE them to the people that operate them, but let's them operate them. Then said company has to worry about paying the pilots and all that jazz. Makes perfect sense to me.

Same idea that a regional airline works under, only in that situation the ownership of the plane is under the regional. Which might not even be the case, as they might be leasing the planes. There are some majors out there (I dunno which ones) that don't own ANY airplanes, they lease all of them from the bank.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If no owned by FedEx, why is it plastered all over the side of those aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

The very same reason Delta airlines has flights on all of those regional jets, yet they don't operate any of them....it's contracted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto....

Everett

CitationKid, any chance we can get you to kill or shrink the huge pic in your sig? It's really more of the airplane than of you, and we all know what a Citation looks like.

[ QUOTE ]
CitationKid, any chance we can get you to kill or shrink the huge pic in your sig? It's really more of the airplane than of you, and we all know what a Citation looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem......

Who cares if we all know what a citation looks like?
wink.gif
We all know what a damn dog looks like and... well, look to the left.

Atleast just shrink it down CitationKid.. No reason to kill it, I my self enjoy be able to tell people apart by Avatar
cool.gif

Actually a couple of my friend own one privately. But I don't have permission to post the picture so I can't show the jpegs of them picking up their new puppy in it.

All I can say is that it's got four windows per side and a t-tail.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a strange looking puppy!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be a Piper Lance
tongue.gif

Back