FedEx Caravans

fletchersteel

I have seen Fed Ex Cessna Caravans at some of the smaller airports in my area. Anybody know what the requirements are for that job? I assume instrument and commercial, but how many hours? The Fed Ex website for pilot career info is not working on my computer.

I don't believe FEDEX actually owns the caravans. Instead they are flown by contractors who paint the colors on their aircraft.

I don't believe FEDEX actually owns the caravans. Instead they are flown by contractors who paint the colors on their aircraft.

The place that was at all the airshows I went to was Called West Air:
===
Caravan Pilots (Two positions currently available)
Cessna 208 Pilots to be placed system-wide. Must have a minimum of 2000 hours PIC time. No exceptions. Prior single-pilot 135 experience is preferred. Resumes should be sent to the attention of Tom Jordan. Absolutely no phone calls!
jordan@westair.net or fax to (559) 454-7840
===

I'm pretty sure the 2000 total is a Fedex requirement. It's old school, but they never changed it. Might have something to do with insurance. You really only need 1200 total for IFR freight.

The guys flying the Caravans are not Fedex pilots.

Other Fedex C208 contractors are: Mountain Air in NC, and Empire in ID. There are several others, too.

CSA Air (call sign "Iron Air") does some FedEx feed in Grand Rapids, as well as other locations in the Midwest. I did a Wings of Mercy flight a few years back (quite a few years, actually) with one of their pilots, and at the time they were paying $40K+ if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that, but that's what I recall. Good schedule, home every night, short hops - not a bad gig actually.

CSA Air (call sign "Iron Air") ......they were paying $40K+ if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that, but that's what I recall. Good schedule, home every night, short hops - not a bad gig actually.

Wow that sounds like an ideal job to do for many years. Not alot of hours I guess but sounds ideal. definitely looking into

I think FedEx actually owns the aircraft--most I've seen all have a tail no. ending in FX--though operations and maintenance are contracted out. Corporate Air is another of these operators.

Thanks for all the good info! I am quite a long ways from 2000hrs. But, it sounds like an adventurous type of job. I will have to keep that in my toolbox for a later time.

I found a site a while back with a list of FedEx feeders that operate the C-208. I think we got all but Baron Aviation. Here is the list of all the Caravan FedEx feeder operators and where their offices are located.

Baron Aviation - Vichy, MO
Corporate Air - Billings, MT
CSA - Kingsford, MI
Empire Airlines - Coeur d' Alene, ID
Mountain Air Cargo - Denver, NC
West Air - Las Vegas, NV
Wiggins - Manchester, NH

Looks like most are currently hiring for the Caravan. In general, mins are showing 2000 TT, 1000 PIC, everything else at 135 mins. West Air and Baron are looking for 2000 PIC. Mountain Air is advertising 1500 TT, 1000 PIC for the Caravan, but...

I went in looking at the C208 cptn. position which pays about $33k, but they will not hire a street captn for the 'van unless you have previous 135 time. So basically in order to get to the 'van I'm going to have to FO in the ATR for a year then bid for the 'van.

It also appears that previous 135 experience is a big plus.

Hope all this helps

This would be a great gig I would think! I have to mark this thread for when the appropriate time comes!

Would be perfect for me anyway!;)

I think FedEx actually owns the aircraft--most I've seen all have a tail no. ending in FX--though operations and maintenance are contracted out. Corporate Air is another of these operators.

You are correct FEDEX owns the aircraft and lease/contract everything else... There are also a bunch of ATRs in addition the the caravans...

Alaskadrifter....

Empire Airlines is the company that operates the caravans out of Anchorage. They have runs down to Homer and up to Fairbanks out of the Anchorage location. The ones that operate in S.E. Alaska come out of Washington. Had a buddy that flew the van out of Anchorage to Homer--had a pretty sweet gig.

Pac Man

Back