FBOs at Jeffco Airport (Colorado)

aceflyley

I'm going to be moving to a place really close to Jeffco Airport in a few weeks and I want to (finally) start my training there. I've heard some mention of McAir Aviation here and it sounds like a pretty classy place. I'm gonna take an intro flight there for sure, but it also sounds really expensive. Are there other schools at Jeffco that are more affordable? If anybody has gone out there and checked out all the schools I would love to hear your opinions/recommendations.

Also, what would you say that the appoximate price is of going from 0 hours to 250 hours and a commercial license (all in single engine planes) in Colorado?

Thanks

Wow, this must be the most unpopular post of all time
smirk.gif

Anybody??? I know there are lots of colorado people on here...

I fly at McAir. I must say that it is a class act. They have the largest fleet of aircraft of any Cessna pilot center in the country. Plus almost all of them are brand new with top notch avionics such as moving map GPS, one plane even has a MFD with a TCAS etc.. We have a brand new Seminole, Arrow, Katana, and about 13 brand spankin new Skyhawks. The entire fleet is about 34 aircraft.

The prices are fairly reasonable. You definetly get your money's worth. The instructors are great and everyone there is extremely friendly and helpful. I got my PPL last october.

We are also in the works of receiving a new simulator from Frasca its the new TrueFlite sim which is really cool looking. Go to www.frasca.com to check it out.

I highly recommend McAir. You can check out the other schools at Jeffco but my vote goes to McAir. Go visit the school and check it out its a great place to learn how to fly. Here is their website
www.mcairaviation.com
check it out and let me know how it goes. if you have any questions feel free to ask.
eric

Well, I'll definitely check them out. It would be really nice to train in their new airplanes, but if I could build time in some old c-152 for half the price I would have to think about that
smirk.gif

If you don't mind saying, about how much did your PPL cost you there?

I did the McAir thing for a good while. It is a very good school and there are many good things about it. Instructors are great, planes are brand new, fun airport to fly out of and you will get lots of xwind experience there. Only problem I encountered was the prices ended up being too steep for me. I moved away from that area a few months ago so that is the reason I stopped flying there but I did like it and felt safe there.

I would advise you to check out other schools but I doubt you will find one better at BJC. Ask for Troy King when you go in there, he is a fine instructor and will get you pointed in the right direction!

Tim

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'll definitely check them out. It would be really nice to train in their new airplanes, but if I could build time in some old c-152 for half the price I would have to think about that
If you don't mind saying, about how much did your PPL cost you there?

[/ QUOTE ]

My PPL cost me just over $6,000 in a new 172s. I finished with 50 hours. You can rent a 152 for about 45-50/hr. The new 172s are 92/hr, a 172n model is 70/hr. hope that helps.

Ahh, thats cool. I looked at the fleet list on their website before and I didn't remember seeing any 152s or older 172s, but I guess I just overlooked them. Flying in those part of the time would definitely save me some money.

they dont have all of their aircraft on the website. I guess they just like to showboat the new ones.

Hi everyone,

Let me first say I've been a lurker for a while now (untill now :p), and the info everyone has contributed has been more then helpfull.

I have been trying to decide between the masses for over a year now, and I have decided to go with McAir as well. Many recommendations and great comments from many (thanks to tim too). I am visiting this week and hopefully setting everything up to start ground school May 18th. I'll keep everyone updated on my journey with McAir, and I guess I will even see some of you there!
smirk.gif
Just look for the fresh cocky college grad
wink.gif
ha j/k.

Hey, good luck with your training. I did an intro flight over a McAir a little while ago and it seemed like a good place. As soon as I get some money I'm gonna start on my private. One thing though, when I asked them about the older and cheaper C-172s and the C-152s they pretty much said "Oh, you don't even want to think about flying those, the performane is so bad, nobody flies those anymore..." I know at this high altitude and with summer comming up a 152 might not be the best choice, but I'm sure the older 172s would still perform decently (espeically if I fly in the morning or evening). Are they just trying to get me to fly in the brand new, expensive planes?

Yea, probably, they like to show off those new 172's (I really don't blame 'em) They made shure to show me the loaded seminole too. But when it comes down to scheduling its all online and you can snatch whatever you want.

My visit was great, they are very laid back yet professional and I didn't have to listen to some high pressure sales gimmick. I felt pretty comfortable there pretty quick.

I looked at the schedule and the 152 and 172n were scheduled, so someone flies'em.

BTW, the 152's are $55/hr wet and the 172N is $77

I'll ask around bout the performance of those in the heat of the summer, but you are prob on the right track. I am going to try to fly in the mornings too so I don't have to worry about all the afternoon t-storms.

Hey Fellas... Good luck at McAir!! I did an intro flight there about a year ago, and thought the place was top-notch. I since moved down to Phoenix to a bigger academy, but if I would have stayed in Colo. I would have trained at ole Jeffco.

Anyway, good luck!

Ok just a little update here. So far McAir has been awesome. I signed up for the ground school class and that has been going well. They arranged some tours for us, one of Legacy Air who does all their A&P, and we go to go up in the tower. Legacy Air runs a very professional operation there, they have a great attitude, clean shop, and do things right. I am finding McAir is made up of some really top notch peeps, with great educations from all the top schools.

I found the plane that no one schedules cause its a far walk on the ramp, so I have been flying the same one. The older 152 do seem to just lie on the ramp but I can see why. My latest flights have all been light to moderate turb and we were doing about 150fpm climb to 8500 at the prac area. And this was just my instructor and I with about half tanks, in a 99 172SP. 85 degrees at 5670ft apt elv is some pretty high density alt. I could not imagine doing in it a 110hp 152.

The past 2 weeks have been horrible wx, horrid t-storms, and this week 4 days of solid rain. My instructor was going to hold off on the simulated IMC cause of the turbulence but I said throw it at me anyway, and I did extremely well. I just can't wait for some smooth air! Got in my first x-wind landing on 29r with winds 18015KT, looking forward to some more x-wind
grin.gif

All in all all is well, except the ol billfold
shocked.gif

Thats awesome. Good to hear you are enjoying your time with McAir. I finished my PPL back in Oct. and I cant say enough about the school. I'm headed to ATP in Dallas this weekend for the 90 day ACPP. I'm hoping that when I return I can instruct at McAir.

I flew the 172N models when I started my PPL training (not sure how many they still have). They are good planes but once I flew the new 172S model with the GPS I was sold. Great airplanes. Have you flown N51815 yet? It has the TCAS in it. very cool.

Who is your instructor? I flew with Feike Mooiman and Chris Dougher, both are great guys and instructors. As far as checkrides, I really like Bob Lewis, I did my PPL checkride with him and he is a great guy & awesome pilot.

Did McAir get the new simulator yet? They said it should arrive around now. Keep me posted on your training and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Eric

[ QUOTE ]
I flew the 172N models when I started my PPL training (not sure how many they still have). They are good planes but once I flew the new 172S model with the GPS I was sold. Great airplanes. Have you flown N51815 yet? It has the TCAS in it. very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure it wasn't TCAS, which would make the cost of that 172 probably double. More than like it was TIS (traffic information service). TCAS tells the pilot to climb or decend with warnings, TIS just tells you where traffic is.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one N model left, someone also mentioned they are trying to ditch the older a/c. I am prob really spoiled cause the only thing I have ever flown is a new 172 with gps
shocked.gif
My first flight was in 99J, the newest 2004 untill about a week later when an even newer one rolled in. Traffic overlay would be nice, but I want to learn the hard way first
smirk.gif
I have my eyes set on the 182T's, wanna do some sweet XC!

[ QUOTE ]
Who is your instructor? I flew with Feike Mooiman and Chris Dougher, both are great guys and instructors. As far as checkrides, I really like Bob Lewis, I did my PPL checkride with him and he is a great guy & awesome pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm flying with Troy King, as Tim recomended. I think all the instructors at McAir are all great, just need to find one you get along with. I'll keep Bob in mind for my checkride
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Did McAir get the new simulator yet? .

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet but I also hear its supposed to come soon, but they did get new carpet in the place, looks pretty sharp.

Oh yea I saw Tim's pic the other day on the solo board
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure it wasn't TCAS, which would make the cost of that 172 probably double. More than like it was TIS (traffic information service). TCAS tells the pilot to climb or decend with warnings, TIS just tells you where traffic is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea its just TIS

I trained at Aspen flying club over at APA (centennial) for my private and the majority of my instrument until i joined the Air
Force. I highly recommend Aspen as an FBO if you live anywhere near Centennial. Ive flown into jeffco many times. The turbulance there can be pretty crazy, good place to practice landings!

Timbuff, if youre still reading this post how do you like your job with frontier? ive been looking into a job with them as a load planner cooridinator or their equivelant of a Flight dispatcher for a little while. just curious. Id appreciate any insight.

Hawker,

I loved my job at Frontier, the only thing that sucks is that I had to quit so I could come down here to ATP in Jax. When I finish up with ATP's 90-day program in Dallas in December I am planning on trying to get a CFI gig in Denver, McAir would be nice, and I also would love to do my Load Planning job part time back at F9 again. Hopefully it works out.

If you have LP experience you could probably get on with F9 but without experience it will be tough for sure unless you start out on the ramp or something like that and move into the position after a while?

Anyone have any updates on instructor movement at McAir?

[ QUOTE ]
Ive flown into jeffco many times. The turbulance there can be pretty crazy, good place to practice landings!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea slow flight in light-mod turb is pretty intresting, especially if it is your first time doing it.

As far as the instructor movement, I have not heard of anyone leaving soon. A few are applying to the regoinals, but I imagine things are pretty slow here in the summer.

There is another new seminole, two new 172s, a new 182 with the G1000, and the Frasca FTD is finally here. So I would think there would be room for a few more instructors, but i really have no clue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had to say good bye to my plane 693SP it hit the 2000hr mark and they dragged it away like trash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Back