FBO rental deductibles

[ QUOTE ]
So, if someone was to rent planes from their local FBO that has a $2,500 deductible, what would you suggest they do? Get an additional insurance policy? I'm still confused about this.

[/ QUOTE ]Not an easy question to answer.

Buying any insurance is a balance between the cost of the insurance, the risk you are faced with, and the exposure that you feel. How much protection do you need? And what's it worth to you?

On the FBO deductible part, remember that this is usually "no-fault" - you didn't have to do anything than have the airplane in your care for it to come into play. You'd probably find that any hull policy will be enough to cover most deductibles. The question is how much above it to go.

To make that decision you could ask yourself how likely is it that you will cause damage to an airplane that is your fault? (If you decide that the risk is 0, you'd be wrong). Then you could try to figure out how much damage you are likely to cause. Then you throw the numbers into a hat and see what comes out.

For example, you might figure that the combined risk of having a serious enough accident that's your fault to total an airplane completely is low enough that you don't need to carry $180,000 in case you do it in a brand new 172SP. On the other hand, a hard landing might cause some appreciable damage, so you want more than a minimum policy.

There's probably some nice spreadsheet that helps to figure these things out, but I sure don't have one.

[ QUOTE ]
I see advertisements fairly often for AOPA's renters insurance. What do you folks think about that?
I'd like to know more about rental insurance before the next time I rent a plane which has a $2,500 deductible.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

My renters insurance is through AOPA. The cheapest you could get it is about $250/yr. for $250,000 of liability and $5000 of hull insurance. They have per seat liability limits that are only 10% of the total limit. That really hurts the usefulness of the policy, but I don't know where to find one that doesn't have that limitation. I've been happy with it so far, but all I've really done is pay them two years worth of premiums - you don't really know how good your insurance is until you have a loss. I will say that their contract seems to be free from some of the bogus limitations that some others have. If you have any questions PM me.

Is it possible to only get AOPA rental insurance coverage for part of a year, say 4 to 6 months?

Also, the plane I'm renting is a 1975 C172N. What's that plane cost, if it was TOTALLY destroyed? I'm just curious.

It seems like this is an area that not many people know enough about.

Nick

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like this is an area that not many people know enough about.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think that is the way many places would like to keep it. They keep you/us stupid and they always get their way. Maybe if there was more training about aviation law involved in the process somewhere many people wouldn't walk blindly into pitfalls.

I think you have to get AOPA for a whole year at a time.

Planes vary a lot depending on condition and avionics. Ballpark figures, a 1975 C172 might go for $35K in so-so shape and full of Cessna radios. If it were in real nice shape and was loaded with IFR equipment, GPS, etc. it might be around $50K.

I also forgot to mention that a decent book you can get to read up on the subject in general is Aviation Law by J Scott Hamilton printed by Iowa State Press. I had to read it for one of my classes, and although it doesnt get down to the brass tacks of every situation, it is enlightening.

Back