FBI Special Agent or career in Aviation?

RM7599

Here is the short version, and I was just looking for some opinions. I'm eligible to begin processing for the Special Agent position for the FBI, and I will take their first phase of testing on March 6th. However, I also planned on beginning flight traning at ATP this summer. I guess I'm a little more than afraid of the current state of the airline industry, and I simply don't know which path to take. I'm aware that it's ultimatley my decision, but it's always nice to get the perspective of other people. Thanks for you time!

It all depends. I also interviewed and was tested for the Special Agent program but didn't qualify at that time since I hadn't finished my degree in biochem. These are two completely different worlds. I chose not to pursue the career as an agent, as I have always wanted to be a pilot...the FBI was just interested in people in the biochem field. Being a federal employee has many benefits, including stability of income that I will not see as a pilot. However interesting a career as an agent might be, to me it never held the same awe as flying. Now that I am at flight school I know I chose correctly.

Take the career as a special agent. The FBI has tracks for special agents who want to fly.

The days of lots of time off and making lots of money are slowly drawing to a close. Airlines can ill afford to engage in this practice any more.

Also, the FBI is a lot more stable than an airline career ever will be.

You have a good career ahead of you.

RM,

I would say go for the FBI slot. If it’s something you can see yourself enjoying ten years from now and beyond, then why not? If you have a stable income you can always purchase an airplane to keep you hand in aviation.

what do you need to be eligible to be a special agent in the fbi? sounds more stable than my cfi "job".

Well, before you can even apply, you must have a four year degree. Once you apply they will determine whether you are eligible to begin phase one of testing. It is very basic cognitive skills testing, as well as some situational judgement testing. On initial application,that I did online, one thing they ask is if you are a pilot. They are looking for many things, and this is just one of them. Now, just because you pass the phase one of testing does not mean that you will go one. It all depends on their needs at the time. So, if you have a four year degree and it interest you, I would check it out. Go to their website for more info. www.fbi.gov Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah man, then you could be like Alias. She's a bad a$$.

No but seriously, the FBI route sounds good. Then when you're raking in the fat checks you could buy a sweet Piper Saratoga II TC and fly for fun.

Good luck

Surf

I'd go with the FBI. As Purduepilot said, you can fly for them. Better yet, I have a friend who is an agent who said if you have your Private, the FBI will re-imburse you for your instrument/commercial training. That was as of this summer. You should confirm this when you interview. Sounds like a great deal to me. Better than trying to live off a CFI salary or new FO salary for 5 or so years in my humble opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah man, then you could be like Alias. She's a bad a$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surfer, I saw that show for the first time the other night...

She's HOT!!
grin.gif

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to take the FBI route, and go from there. Wish me luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to take the FBI route, and go from there. Wish me luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck! I really think it will work out for you in the long run... Just don't forget about us "aviation buffs"...
wink.gif

I applied for a SA slot back in 2000 took Phase one testing and then went down to Ft. Lauderdale for the final interview in spring of 2001. Guess I wasn't successful, but reactivated my application for another chance. They really didn't say much about being able to fly or anyhitng.

Talked to the DEA about a month ago and they also have airplanes. Recruiter I spoke with says you have to serve 2-3 years in the field before going into one of their aviation units. As stated above US Customs also has airplanes. Good Luck.

Ok, so I passed Phase One Testing. Now, I fill out this freaking long form, and then they determine if I go to phase two. Wish me luck!

RM,

Please keep up posted on your progress and experiences, I think they could be invaluable to some members of this board who may choose to follow in your footsteps.

Surf

Back