Fatal Crash During Pre-Buy Flight - Obligation to Disclose Mech Probs?

BINGO! Buying an amateur-built plane can be a dangerous minefield.

There are several thousand experimental aircraft flying around with great build quality and reliability. There are also a lot of certified aircraft out there that are only slightly more than termites holding hands. Experimental aircraft offer a huge increase in efficiency and performance at a fraction of the price of certified aircraft. It is definitely a roll of the dice, but like any aircraft buyer... due diligence is required for pre-buys. It is what it is.

Having done three demo flights in the last 6 months, there wasn't one of them in which the prospective buyer hadn't already researched the maintenance records.

actually I was wondering if there were other courses available…I will remove the tag, although I'm certain it has no negative effect. An opinion of possibilities, not acting as representation is not violation of ethics, nor would it result in any viable action against you. Your opinion on what other courses are available would not be practicing law…as you have not been retained nor have you offered your services. This is why attorneys can go on the air and give widely general opinions about options.

Aircraft litigation is complex by my research, but to find potential liability based on negligence could be a course. It is wise that jtrain doesn't comment for such reason, as the facts are not known, even though he could give an opinion if he chose to do so.

My life insurance will only pay out 50% for experimentals. They have done the math, so I avoid them.

Well, you're only getting 50% of the fun then.

Ryan said it best, whistling •! cans of death exists in Normal & Experimental category airplanes. I regularly fly EAB airplanes, there are numerous benefits to the experimental world. For example my buddy's RV6 runs 165KTAS @ 7.5gph all day long. Try finding that efficiency in a Cessna.

Back to original topic, maintenance flights should be essential crew only, even if it is a sale demo after major maintenance or repair. Due diligence is paramount no matter what aircraft you operate.

Back