Fast Track

typhoonpilot

Just flew with a guy who started in aviation about 7 years ago. He learned to fly in 2003. From there he got a job flying a twin cessna in Haiti for awhile then bought a 737 type and went to work for Air Asia in Malaysia. Stayed there for a few years before going to Air Macau on the A320; then Tiger Airways on the A320; and Emirates in the B777.

That's a pretty fast track. Certainly takes some money to pay for the initial rating through commercial-instrument-multi and then a 737 type. Also takes the willingness to move around the world, but it certainly seems possible. He's the second guy I've encountered at Emirates who has progressed so quickly.

Typhoonpilot

Just flew with a guy who started in aviation about 7 years ago. He learned to fly in 2003. From there he got a job flying a twin cessna in Haiti for awhile then bought a 737 type and went to work for Air Asia in Malaysia. Stayed there for a few years before going to Air Macau on the A320; then Tiger Airways on the A320; and Emirates in the B777.

That's a pretty fast track. Certainly takes some money to pay for the initial rating through commercial-instrument-multi and then a 737 type. Also takes the willingness to move around the world, but it certainly seems possible. He's the second guy I've encountered at Emirates who has progressed so quickly.

Typhoonpilot

my gf dad got in the cockpit of a 747 in 10 years, before that he only flew DC3s and Electras

I've got the willingness to move around the world. The stacks of $$$ to do what he did? Not so much.....

Typhoonpilot: Have you heard anything more about Etihad's international cadet program? I guess they're not taking apps this year.

Typhoonpilot

But what nationality was he and what countries is he a citizen of?

But what nationality was he and what countries is he a citizen of?

Italian and another South American passport. Only FAA certificates though. So he worked in French speaking Haiti; Portuguese/Chinese speaking Macau; Bahasa speaking Malaysia; and English/Chinese speaking Singapore. As an Italian/Spanish/English speaker I don't see any particular advantage to his nationality. The other friend that did a similar route is English/American.

TP

A friend of mine did his flight training in the UK, before immediately getting employed on the A319 at Easyjet. That's a pretty common occurrence in the UK, but the hilarious bit comes a year later:

After a year at EZY and about 900TT (700 jet), he applied to British Airways. With BA, you don't know what aircraft you're going on, but typically with that experience, if you get hired, you'll be on the A320 or the 737. He's Airbus typed, so was expecting the A320.

After passing the interview, you do a 2 week jet-sim SOPs course with BA, and you're then told what aircraft you're going on. Him? B777FO.

Brilliant! That was 2 years ago. Because he's on a senior aircraft, he's at the bottom of the 777 pole by a country mile, but I don't think he's too upset about it. More worried about whether the FAs union is going to sink the airline altogether.

I've got the willingness to move around the world. The stacks of $$$ to do what he did? Not so much.....

Stacks of cash? Looks like the only thing extra he paid for was a 737 type and that's what $6000 bucks? If he went to a traditional FBO he still got the Riddle/ATP/FSA guys beat by a mile cost wise

With this economy the "fast track" really isn't as easy anymore, I know. I have the cash and now some decent foreign flying but still can't find a company that will hire you with 0 time in the airplane. Hoping things turn around in the next couple years.

=Jason-

With this economy the "fast track" really isn't as easy anymore, I know. I have the cash and now some decent foreign flying but still can't find a company that will hire you with 0 time in the airplane. Hoping things turn around in the next couple years.

=Jason-

What are you flying in India? Looks like the 737 from your avatar

What are you flying in India? Looks like the 737 from your avatar

Ha good eye, it was a private 737 next to my aircraft, I just like the pic. I'm a King Air check airman for a VIP charter company.

Typhoonpilot

I had the opportunity to work in Mex. found a job flying the 737 with a wet commercial cert. when i was 19, im still on this plane, looking forward to move to the middle east lets see how long it'll take me........

Nice. Sounds like a good paycheck

Yea paycheck is pretty decent and more importantly you get treated the way a pilot really should be(by general public, not the company) but it is also really really hard. If it wasn't for the economy I'd go back stateside even if it meant a big hit to the paycheck. Living out here has already almost killed me once, literally, and it wasn't anything to do with aviation.

=Jason-

I had the opportunity to work in Mex. found a job flying the 737 with a wet commercial cert. when i was 19, im still on this plane, looking forward to move to the middle east lets see how long it'll take me........
Did you have to have Mexican citizenship?

Back