FAR's applicable to banner towing ops?

Alchemy

FAR\'s applicable to banner towing ops?

Out of curiousity I was wondering if anyone knew what part of the FAR's, if any, specified restrictions concerning banner towing operations, specifically altitudes, distances, etc.

I tried a serach but couldn't find any relevant topics, thanks in advance for the help.

Re: FAR\'s applicable to banner towing ops?

It's just the FAR's that specify how high over congested areas any airplane must fly. (1000ft above) There were TFR's that kept planes 3000' above and 3 miles away from any event with more than either 10 or 30 thousand people, and all banner towing operations had waivers to fly there.

Okay, so basically each op gets a seperate wavier from the FAA and the height/distance restrictions are specified within the specific wavier? I was just curious about how this works, because some clown was trying to tell me that all Banner Towing ops are illegal but I didn't have a FAR to show him to the contrary.

Thanks for the help.

We just followed this - the waiver took care of the TFR's. Congress just passed a new law, however, that effectively bans banner towing.

§91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Back