FAR interpretation

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
FAR 61.65 section D requires that a pilot applying for an instrument rating must have 50 hours of cross country time as pilot in command, which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes for an instrument-airplane rating. Does this mean that 10 hours of XC PIC time must be under the hood?

Pretty sure it just means at least 10 hrs must be in an airplane (as opposed to helicopter, powered lift, etc) to count toward the instrument rating - airplane.

It can, but does not have to be, under the hood.

Mine as well ... the cross country requirement is separate from the "actual or simulated instrument" requirement. You don't need to make sure to do any specific number of "hooded" cross country hours as long as you meet the requirements listed in the FAR.

Russ

For the instrument rating, does one have to receive instruction in the aircraft they wish to fly in IFR?

Ex: Military trained in T-37/T-6, receive an IR through the military, can one rent a C-172 and take it up in IFR?

No, an instrument rating is not limited to any specific type of airplane. If you do your IFR in a 172 and want to go fly IFR in a Warrior a week later, that is completely legal.

[ QUOTE ]
No, an instrument rating is not limited to any specific type of airplane. If you do your IFR in a 172 and want to go fly IFR in a Warrior a week later, that is completely legal.

[/ QUOTE ]That's right. It's not even limited to any specific class. The civilian instrument rating is a category rating (Instrument Airplane).

An Instrument Rating is only issued for category, HOWEVER, you must demonstrate instrument proficiency in each class of aircraft that you want to fly IFR. For example, if you have Private ASEL, then get your Instrument Rating, then do your multi and opt not to demonstrate instrument proficiency on your multi checkride, your AMEL rating will be issued with a AMEL - Limited to VFR Only.

Ray

Gotcha, that's how I figured it was. Another question to throw out there.

I am PPL-ASEL, trained in a C-172. Am I correct in understanding that I can fly any "airplane" that is single-engine and not complex/high-performance?

More specifically, I trained in a high-wing a/c . . . can I go and rent a low-wing, single-engine airplane, non-high per/complex? Is there training/checkoffs that need to be done?

[ QUOTE ]
I am PPL-ASEL, trained in a C-172. Am I correct in understanding that I can fly any "airplane" that is single-engine and not complex/high-performance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
More specifically, I trained in a high-wing a/c . . . can I go and rent a low-wing, single-engine airplane, non-high per/complex? Is there training/checkoffs that need to be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll more than likely have to get checked out with an FBO on a new aircraft, but it's no matter if it's high or low wing. If it's a single-engine airplane that's not high performance or complex, you're legal.

[ QUOTE ]
Gotcha, that's how I figured it was. Another question to throw out there.

I am PPL-ASEL, trained in a C-172. Am I correct in understanding that I can fly any "airplane" that is single-engine and/quote]More accurately, you may fly any airplane that is single engine "land" and not complex, high-performance or in one of the other categories (like tailwheel) that require a separate endorsement.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]All the FAA cares about is that it is an ASEL and doesn't require a high performance, etc endorsement. But you'll find that FBOs and insurance companies have requirements for checkouts and training (including recurrent training) that vary among make and model.

Back