Fantasy of Flight

CRJwannabe

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/

I visited this rare collection this weekend. What a great place for aviation enthusiasts. It was awesome. If you are ever in central FL, this is a MUST see. There is an online coupon (linked on their mainpage) with a $3 admissions discount. The money spent on admission is worth every penny. Chances are, you will never see most of these aircraft if it weren't for this site. Anyone training in central FL should take a day and go out to see the best aviation collection of all time!

Below is an excerpt from their website.

Located halfway between Tampa and Orlando in Polk County, Florida, Fantasy of Flight is a 300 acre aviation-themed attraction that takes visitors back to World War I, aviation’s Golden Era during the 1920’s-1930’s, World War II and beyond, including some of the very airplanes that made aviation history. Featured is the world’s largest private collection of vintage aircraft, personally assembled by lifelong aviation historian and enthusiast Kermit Weeks. The aircraft in Weeks’ collection are, by themselves, worthy of a visit to Fantasy of Flight. Just a partial listing of aircraft reads like an aviation “Who’s Who,” including a Curtiss Jenny, a Ford Tri-Motor, a reproduction of the renowned Ryan “Spirit of St. Louis,” German JU-52, Japanese Zero, Corsair F4U, B-17 Flying Fortress and a B-24 Liberator. The centerpiece of Fantasy of Flight’s 40-airplane fleet is a huge Short Sunderland, the last airworthy four-engine civilian flying boat in the world!

Visitors will feel as if they have stepped back into time. The entire complex has an Art Deco architectural motif that reflects the airports of aviation’s Golden Era in the late 1930’s and early ‘40’s. From the red-and-white checkerboard design water tower to tasty home cooked food in the Compass Rose Diner , the entire complex captures the same characteristics of a small airport more than a half-century old.

The passion and nostalgia of aviation come alive at Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection located in the heart of central Florida. The vision of aviation enthusiast and historian, Kermit Weeks, Fantasy of Flight is a tribute to the innovation and imagination of the pioneers of flight. Featuring many rare and vintage aircraft, this popular attraction transports you back to the hey-day of aviation. Welcomed by the nostalgic art-deco architecture, you will reconnect with your childhood belief that you really can fly, only at Fantasy of Flight!

Rates
General Admission
Adults (Ages 13-59): $24.95
Seniors (Ages 60 + over): $22.95
Children (Ages 5-12): $13.95
Ask about our group, military rates and corporate packages. All prices are subject to change without notice.

Hours of Operation
Fantasy of Flight is open 9am - 5pm daily, excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas, and occasionally during special events.

It would be great if they would let you fly in! I pass over it on the way to Lakeland all the time. The drive on I-4 is absolutely horrible, while the flight from ORL would be a cinch.

Someday I hope they get their insurance act together and open that strip to the public.

Fantasy of Flight is a FANTASTIC place to visit! I highly recommend it.

A lot of Kermits collection are flyable. He has the only flying B-26 Marauder in the world.

I never realized how big the Connie's were until I visited back in Februrary. Unreal!!

(hold on to your seats)I agree with JT, though. Driving on I-4, you take your life into your own hands.

JT, give Fantasy of Flight a call. I *think* they open up the field once or twice a year for those who are so inclined to fly in.

R2F

Back