Family?

Counselor

I do not have an ATP location near me. If I go, I will have to pick up and move for the three months. Did anyone who did the same (move) take their family with them? Any thoughts on the wisdom of doing so given the pace of the 90-day program? Thanks for any input.

I did not have a wife and kids when i went to ATP. But i know that housing is only included for the student. I could see having your family could be good and bad. A support system is always a good thing and can help get through the difficult times of flight training. But they may also prove a distraction when studying and what not. For me being unattached and fresh out of college i moved far from my friends and family so that i could concentrate. Not sure any of this helped....

I live in Tulsa, attended ATP Arlington, Tx last year and left the wife and daughter behind. While I missed them like crazy it would have been a major distraction to have had them there with me. If you have a strong relationship with your spouse I would say leave them at home. If not I'd say leave your wife at home because your relationship is not likely to last with your career choice anyway.

If you have a strong relationship with your spouse I would say leave them at home. If not I'd say leave your wife at home because your relationship is not likely to last with your career choice anyway.

I'm assuming you are saying if your relationship isnt STRONG its not likely to last due to the stresses of being on the road and gone a lot? And not that in general pilots relationships do not work no matter how strong the relationship correct? However EITHER way, if any relationship is not strong enough, I do not believe they would last no matter upon career choice. ANYONE in the aviation industry as long as they have great communication, are honest, and can be faithful while on the road; its very possible to maintain a healthy relationship and strong one. I've been able to see MANY co workers and friends do so on regular basis.

I live in Tulsa, attended ATP Arlington, Tx last year and left the wife and daughter behind. While I missed them like crazy it would have been a major distraction to have had them there with me. If you have a strong relationship with your spouse I would say leave them at home. If not I'd say leave your wife at home because your relationship is not likely to last with your career choice anyway.
:yeahthat:

If your going to be spending the money on it, do it, and put ALL distractions aside. You will not have time to spend with your family if you do the fast track program anyways. If spending time away from your family is a concern, then find another career path, because this is usually the nature of the buisness.

I'm really interested in this as well. I'm actually moving from Korea back to the US this fall and will be getting married. My fiance is Korean, and this will be her first time in the US. We've thought that it might be better for her to live with one of her friends while I'm studying and earning my licenses. At the same time, it would be hard to move to the US, and then part for 4-5 months until I finish.

I'm really interested in this as well. I'm actually moving from Korea back to the US this fall and will be getting married. My fiance is Korean, and this will be her first time in the US. We've thought that it might be better for her to live with one of her friends while I'm studying and earning my licenses. At the same time, it would be hard to move to the US, and then part for 4-5 months until I finish.

try 5-6 months. And what is 5-6 months compared to the rest of your life? Think about guys that are in the military that have been over in the middle east for 12-18 months..... Suck it up. If you really want it, you will.

try 5-6 months. And what is 5-6 months compared to the rest of your life? Think about guys that are in the military that have been over in the middle east for 12-18 months..... Suck it up. If you really want it, you will.
Amen to that

I left my wife and 3 month old at home. That was a few years ago. It sucked but it went by fast because we were both so busy. We both knew that it was only temporary and I went home as often as possible.

If you plan on going back to work for ATP it would be worth moving. But in this economy with hiring slow, I'd get your ratings from them then go back home with you family and old job until hiring picks up, instructing on the side. That way you've at least got your multi-time, can make real money in your full-time job and still fly. At least that's how I'd do it now. If you can't go back to your old job then just save up until something positive happens in the industry, then go to ATP.

I'd not take the family as they could be a distraction. Bust your balls for 90 days, get'er done and then go back home. Will it suck a little? Yes. Will it suck more not doing as well and possibly busting a check ride of 5 due to be distracted? Yes.

Good luck.

I would not advise ATP as your choice. I am a ATP graduate and I did get through the program alright but I saw a lot of people kicked out of the program at their check ride after spending their money on training. The corporate side treats their staff and students like crap. They are being sued by an instructor even for being forced to fly broken airplanes. Not to mention they dont give you all the multi time they say they will. Most of the instructors are good but they still have to take orders from corporate. ATP is in it for the money now more than training airline pilots. Good luck

Hi milehighpilot08,

Welcome to Jetcareers!

Don't forget that there's a few hundred more posts in the ATP forums that you can post your experience in. ;)

Bob

Back