Family Friendly Flying?

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
I'm looking for some family friendly work. I've got over 5200hrs,1900 turbine about 700 MTPIC, and experience flying all over the country and experience in management. I'm in the process of finishing my degree at UVU, I've studied a bit of everything in my early college days, and have education in a wide variety of topics (jack of all trades - unfortunately, master of none but aviation). I'm 25 years old. I've got a good job in terms of compensation - but the work/life balance isn't that great with a wife, a kid, and another on the way. I'd prefer to live in Alaska, or in Wisconsin - but we can live anywhere, my wife is open to going anywhere, need to make enough money to get by. I would like to get into the jet world - that'd be good, or corporate turboprops, but I'm honestly open to anything provided I don't have to bring work home with me every night and have the ability to have a life outside my place of employment. Any ideas?

How do I get into 121 without bankrupting my little family?
Horizon is opening an ANC base and has the highest FO rates of the 121 regionals. May be worth talking to SurferLucas about. I'd tag him but I'm on Tapatalk. Yeah, I get that $30 an hour in ANC with two kids would be rough, but second year is $40, and on up. Move out to the Valley or Chugiak or whatever. Guys have made it work before.

The reality as I see it is even Corporate jobs have their own little pecking order and you're going to be low man on the totem pole as well. Your dream corporate operation could have a worse family life than what you have now.

And you obviously know this but you could have 15 days off a month there in Alaska if you were willing to go to Bethel for the other 15.

Also, you meet the mins from Frontier which is hiring and has a Chicago base.

How do I get into 121 without bankrupting my little family?

Just like any other goal or challenge in life, devise a plan & execute the plan.

You may make out great, ok, or poorly in your career job wise.

You know the first year is tough, plan for it. There are so many things out of your control - where you'll get called for an interview, to a certain extent what interviews you'll receive job offers from, what sort of attrition or growth you'll REALLY see, how the company will do (past performance is not indicative of future results).

So with that look at what you can control. A bit of financial security to make it to second year. A realistic financial plan to live off of guarantee. Discussions with your partner on the choices you realistically have, and ensuring that everyone is ok with the choices you make as a family. Have certain limits, do you quit if there is a bk? Do you base hop until a bit of decent seniority, or do you burden yourself by commuting and if so how do you balance that.

We all know folks that sacrificed everything for the promised brass ring, and have lost everything along the way. Some achieved a great career, some didn't.

It's not easy to get started and a foot hold, but once you do, it eases up. Always be wary, it's precarious. If you don't believe it, ask the 99 United hires furloughed twice. Keep the head on a swivel, and make the best choices for you and your family, don't EVER scab and don't let someone else's ideal prescribe your career and what makes you happy.

Good luck, there are no right answers.

Last edited:
Air Ambulance.

I work 50% of my days, and of that half is at home on call. 4 days out of 32 I spend at work overnight. You won't get rich, but there will be plenty of free time for family and any "side hustles" you have.

And dude, you're 25 with that level of experience? You're doing something right.

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't think of air Ambo, but maybe that's because I actually like flying.

I have a friend who's former Ace that flies a Lear for someone there in ANC (I can never keep track of who's flying for whom these days). His house is 5 mom from the South Airpark and he's basically a stay at home Dad while his wife works.

My last job was absurdly family friendly for the first 5 years I was there - day trips only, weekends and holidays off, very rare overnights - ...right up until it stopped being family friendly. Biggest disappointment of my career.

So...air ambulance drivers - tell me more. I've talked to one air ambo guy, how is the job?

I just started mine. It will give you odd hours but if you decide to live in your base it will also give you plenty of home time. Depending on your outfit, you could be at home 80% of your time.

The challenge is to be ready to go from "Sitting around getting fat watching TV" to Airborne in less than 30 minutes. Or 2am wakeup calls. you can PM me if you'd like more info.

Back