Fall flying blues - Amazingly bad wx

dgRoot

So, I was sitting around all day waiting for the board to come back up after canceling all of my flights today. The weather here in northern Colorado has been crazy the last couple of weeks which has left me starving for flight time. Check out these PIREPS and METARs:

Today at BJC (Jefco airport in Denver) Not my home airport, but about 30 miles away.
KBJC 051445Z 28059G72KT 10SM FEW030 SCT050 M02/M24 A2982 RMK PK WND 28072/1445 PRESFR
The news reported winds of up to 90. At least one airplane was flipped over.

Last week over Denver:
DEN UUA /OV RAMMS/TM 1844/FL130/TP BE190/TB SEV
Whenever a Beech 1900 reports severe turbulence, I pay attention.

Over New Mexico Last week:
TAD UUA /OV CIM 340030/TM 1725/FL380/TP B737/TB SEV MTN WV/RM LOST CNTRL OF ACFT. ZDV

Is the weather this crazy in other parts of the country? What are some of the pireps or winds you have seen near you home airports?

In Albany, NY....the worst I've seen in the past 5 years is about like 40 knots or so....minus days when we had severe storms....doesn't compare to that....Can't imagine flying a Skyhawk into 72 knot gusts, ahaha.

Thursday I was supposed to go up for my instrument checkride but the weather wasn't exactly letting me go up. We even had a tango airmet issued right over our area. The wind was a 90 degree crosswind sustained at 20 and gusting to 40, not nearly as bad as a lot of you have seen, but that's the worst I have ever seen it in the bay area!

dgRoot said:
KBJC 051445Z 28059G72KT 10SM FEW030 SCT050 M02/M24 A2982 RMK PK WND 28072/1445 PRESFR
The news reported winds of up to 90. At least one airplane was flipped over.

i was working the DIA ramp yesterday. enough said.

Over New Mexico Last week:
TAD UUA /OV CIM 340030/TM 1725/FL380/TP B737/TB SEV MTN WV/RM LOST CNTRL OF ACFT. ZDV

i happened to be riding a 757 to DFW this day and we were about an hour behind this guy. the rides were terrible at all altitudes - listening to ATC and other airplanes, it sounded like the ride everywhere from western NM/CO to the panhandle of texas was just plain awful.

i moved from ND for better weather, not this misery.

roundout said:
i was working the DIA ramp yesterday. enough said.

i happened to be riding a 757 to DFW this day and we were about an hour behind this guy. the rides were terrible at all altitudes - listening to ATC and other airplanes, it sounded like the ride everywhere from western NM/CO to the panhandle of texas was just plain awful.

i moved from ND for better weather, not this misery.
It's been pretty smooth out west so far! Well, west of the Wasatch...

Its tough to beat Jeffco winds. Near hurricane force winds in November? Crazy. Last year at Jeffco, there were about 3 a/c lost due to winds. Our one remaining C172N got flipped and totaled after a S-hook snapped. Now standard practice is for the airport to park dumptrucks and such in front of the flightline as wind breaks.

Oh and we also had a dumpster fly into the tail of a C172S the same day! It nearly took out a few of our employees too. They got pretty lucky.

Yup. it was crazy at Jeffco yesterday. We were out there hanging on to airplane struts so that they didnt fly away :) The wind topped out at 90 mph. It was hard to even walk around. One plane was flipped over but luckily it was not ours, too bad though cause it was a pretty new airplane. I even got on the local news, it was a blast :)

Actually it was smooth until the 737 in front of me into OAK slowed to approach speed outside the marker and I whacked his wake turbulence base-to-final!

Come on Eric, get out there and start scraping :sarcasm: !! I'm sure your fingers will fall off in about 3 minutes or so!

junior said:
I've resigned to the fact that I'm not going to make any money this month :)

that's why i'm trying to move. combine low income with exorbitant cost of living and the difficulty to tap into the aviation market here, and the decision is relatively simple to make.

Back