Failed Ishihara Failed FALANT, what now?

haphung335

Failed the Ishihara plates previously and today went to an AME with FALANT. Ended up failing that one too.
Now having the feeling of losing hope.
Looking to start from 0 to CPL this month, but I need some guidance. If I go for the Operation Color Vision Test (OCVT) and Medical Flight Test (MFT), and end up failing those then that is it.
But before going to that last resort, I have two questions hopefully you guys can help answer it.
  1. Do I need to do OCVT and MFT at the same time? Can I just do the OCVT first?
  2. Since I don't know how to fly, do I need to learn how to fly before I can do the MFT? It is okay to have a CFI flying and I sit in the right seat and the inspector in the back?
Thanks guys.

OCVT and MFT are administered by the FSDO and are not under the purview of medical certification. However, I'll try to answer what I can.

Do I need to do OCVT and MFT at the same time? Can I just do the OCVT first?
I believe that you can do the OCVT independently. A quick call to your nearest FSDO would confirm that.
Since I don't know how to fly, do I need to learn how to fly before I can do the MFT? It is okay to have a CFI flying and I sit in the right seat and the inspector in the back?
You do need to do some training prior to taking the MFT. If I remember right the Regional Flight Surgeon can issue you a provisional certificate to allow you to train (or you can use your restricted certificate). Once you have enough training to solo you should be able to take the MFT.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back