Factory Course

scottyboy75

I just returned from the factory course for Robinson Helicopters. This is the course most insurance companies require to teach and/or own a Robbie. It makes me glad to have Robbie time. I looked at a side by side comparison of the R-44 vs. the Jet Ranger and it blew me away.The 44 is only shy of 206 payload by 60lbs. It performs better at altitude and is 30 knots faster. Here is the best part it costs about 30% of what a Jet Ranger cost to purchase and operate.

But the 206 wins in the sex appeal dept. Oh, and that turbine reliability!

You're back just in time to party with JDflight.

aloft said:
But the 206 wins in the sex appeal dept. Oh, and that turbine reliability!

You're back just in time to party with JDflight.
If I hear turbine realibility one more time.

scottyboy75 said:
I just returned from the factory course for Robinson Helicopters. This is the course most insurance companies require to teach and/or own a Robbie. It makes me glad to have Robbie time. I looked at a side by side comparison of the R-44 vs. the Jet Ranger and it blew me away.The 44 is only shy of 206 payload by 60lbs. It performs better at altitude and is 30 knots faster. Here is the best part it costs about 30% of what a Jet Ranger cost to purchase and operate.

Well sure, that's what Robinson is going to tell you! :sarcasm:

Kidding... I had no idea they were that similiar. Crazy.

And congrats on the factory course! I wondered where you've been lately... do they do full down autos at the factory course?

Yes they do tons. My full downs were actualy smoother than a normal setdown. They also teach minimum descent autos which is unreal. They are a little harder here in UT but it is good stuff to know. I also learned the 1.2 seconds to auto is to maintain altitude and airspeed so in real life you have way more time to auto than that.
I was amazed to see they are sending out 20 ships a week from the factory. Only a fraction of them were 22's.

Sweet! Is a minimal descent auto like a low-level auto?

Also, how long is the course and what's the cost?

It's $400 I think. It is 3 days of classroom and 1.5 of flight. The minimum descent is kind of like a falling leaf. you kind of just glide almost 0 airspeed and drift into your spot.

scottyboy75 said:
It's $400 I think. It is 3 days of classroom and 1.5 of flight. The minimum descent is kind of like a falling leaf. you kind of just glide almost 0 airspeed and drift into your spot.

Fall like a leaf? Not in a blackhawk. What's the rate of descent? Do you guys practice low level autos?

Hover autos are about all we practice low level. I can't remeber the exact descent rate but it felt like we would never touch the ground. I can see why they don't allow alot of risky training. I just got quoted 30,000 for hull insurance. Autos in training are actually the top risk factor for accidents industry wide. Wire strikes are the number one killer of pilots still though.

scottyboy75 said:
Hover autos are about all we practice low level. I can't remeber the exact descent rate but it felt like we would never touch the ground. I can see why they don't allow alot of risky training. I just got quoted 30,000 for hull insurance. Autos in training are actually the top risk factor for accidents industry wide. Wire strikes are the number one killer of pilots still though.

Wire strikes!!!

Here's a rule of thumb:

All roads have wires

It amazes me. Most strikes happen in greater than 1000 ft ceilings, and 40% of the pilots knew the wires were there. Fixed wing guys hit alot of wires also.

All rivers and canyons have wires.

General rule of thumb in Iraq: There are wires everywhere. Even in the middle of no where.

I was flying last night and my CFI put the trim down I asked what he was doing and he said not much. I responded with see all those wires down there I don't know. He looked down and pulled the cyclic trim back up. Not a good spot to auto 5 sets of high tension power poles and other wires. It just goes to show complacency kills. We fly over that route 10 times a day.

Back