Facility transfer

justme62

I just got a call from a new HR rep asking if I'd like to transfer facilities...

She wanted me to trade PHF (level 7 tower) for PCT (level 12 TRACON).

Um, no thanks!! :yup:

Sure, the pay would be nicer, the locality is higher, but I really don't want to move and definitely don't need the added stress. LMAO Not to mention I'd really just prefer to be in a tower over staring at a screen any day. :D

Has anyone else had last minute facility transfer offers? Did anyone take them?

Yes, I had a 'last minute' transfer (even though I've been waiting for over a year). They transferred me from a lvl 6 tower to a level 12 tracon.
At first I was freaked out, but I called the tracon and talked to guys there, plus I visited the facility and they said it was a good place to work.
(I didn't even ask for a tour. I called and asked stuff like "I got a choice between tower XYZ and your tracon", "what is your washout rate", etc, and then after the questions they asked if I wanted to visit.)

I'm a bit bummed I don't get to see aircraft in an airport environment, but excited to get started much earlier!

You might want to visit that tracon if possible, just to make sure you don't want it ;)
From what I gather, it sounds like different locations can have widely different checkout-times, morale, washout-rates, etc. One tracon might be a great place, while the next is a career-killer.

Recently it seems as though quite a few people are being offered transfers. From what I've seen most people are accepting the transfer, because it is getting them to the Academy at a date much sooner.

Recently it seems as though quite a few people are being offered transfers. From what I've seen most people are accepting the transfer, because it is getting them to the Academy at a date much sooner.

Not only a much sooner academy date for me, but now I can commute to work from where I live now.

I accepted a transfer to a facility an hour and a half away after my tower was done until FY '10. I was a 10 minute drive away from my first tower but I did it because I want to start working asap. I will end up moving since I'm planning on being at my new tower at least 5 years.

Back