Facility on the job training

my friend finished training in OKC for a Center back on July 18th. ever since then she goes into work and spends a lot of her day studying, and some of the day plugged in with a certified controller (just listening and learning, not controlling). she is waiting for date to go down to the DAISIM, which is the simulator for Trainees at a center. she expects to get in on December 1st. they go through a month of classroom work, then 3 months of the simulator. every 2 weeks they have to do a "Problem", and if they fail the problem they get ONE chance to try again. if they fail it again they get fired. they have had 4 people fail out of the current DAISIM class...once done with the simulator you go on the floor and plug in and control traffic with a CPC right next to you. you need to get fully checked out on 2 sections of your sector in order to hit the 25% completed with training, and get the first pay increase. also, when you are checked out on those 2 then you can do overtime. after that you just keep working to get checked out on the other sections in your sector.

That sounds pretty intense. I've heard of people not making it at centers due to failing the "problem."

That sounds pretty intense. I've heard of people not making it at centers due to failing the "problem."

yeah it happens a lot my friend said. she said they werent really studying though, and they didnt try that hard. so dont get scared about a center...the hardest part is the map (well for ZNY anyway)..if you can learn the map then you should be ok...UNLESS your not good at controlling traffic, then this isnt the job for you..haha

yeah it happens a lot my friend said. she said they werent really studying though, and they didnt try that hard. so dont get scared about a center...the hardest part is the map (well for ZNY anyway)..if you can learn the map then you should be ok...UNLESS your not good at controlling traffic, then this isnt the job for you..haha

Does your friend have reddish hair? And she was OTS?

I may've met her a few weeks ago at ZNY. :)

That's what a controller at ZTL told me about a couple of folks who were about to wash out of his area. They were not studying on breaks and had that "I know everything" attitude about everything.

Back