Facility Levels

Why not? Dear lord man. You're gonna wash out so quuiiicccckkkk... lol I have a CTO license, and I'm dreading going to an 11. lol

I'm OTS and heading to BOS TWR. It would have been nice to start at a lower facility, but I didn't have a choice. I have tried to change my location 3 times with no success. And I wasn't gonna turn down the offer and be placed at the end of the line. I am definitly nervous, but all I can do is stay focused, study my ass off, and hope everything works out.

I am not going to a Tower or Tracon, and have not been a controller...so admittedly my opinion is about as usefull as teats on a boar hog, however I get tired of hearing people getting harassed about going to a higher level facility. Maybe you AnIm would wash out "so quuiiicccckkkk" and maybe you Sooner wouldn't be able to cut it off the bat, but who are you to leap to judge what anyone else can do? Especially considering you haven't met any of these people?

Maybe the washout rate at level 10-12 facilities is 70%, 80% or 90%, but that still leaves the possibility for someone to make it through. If someone is a total window licker and thinks they can make it and then can't...who cares? It seems to me it should be up to the FAA and the individual where one is willing to go. In fact it may be good for the ones who start out where they should in the future if everyone washes out, then the FAA may recognize value in their capable employees and bring the pay back closer to where it should be.

I am not going to a Tower or Tracon, and have not been a controller...so admittedly my opinion is about as usefull as teats on a boar hog, however I get tired of hearing people getting harassed about going to a higher level facility. Maybe you AnIm would wash out "so quuiiicccckkkk" and maybe you Sooner wouldn't be able to cut it off the bat, but who are you to leap to judge what anyone else can do? Especially considering you haven't met any of these people?

Maybe the washout rate at level 10-12 facilities is 70%, 80% or 90%, but that still leaves the possibility for someone to make it through. If someone is a total window licker and thinks they can make it and then can't...who cares? It seems to me it should be up to the FAA and the individual where one is willing to go. In fact it may be good for the ones who start out where they should in the future if everyone washes out, then the FAA may recognize value in their capable employees and bring the pay back closer to where it should be.

K-Dog, did you get a OKC date yet?

also, level 11 and 12 towers are hard. not impossible, just hard. Towers in general are not set up that great for training. its almost all on the job training. so if your at a level 5 then its ok because there is like 10 planes a day, but if your at an 11 or 12 and the controllers who are supposed to train you have to deal with non stop traffic then you wont get the training you need...

However, level 11 and 12 Centers are set up for training. im not saying they are easier, but you dont even talk to a real flight for about a year. you have a few months of just studying maps, and watching controllers control traffic in your assigned area. then you have a few months of simulator training, then you go to OJT training. so dont be afraid if you get a center (they are all up there in Level) because you get a lot more help.

No, I don't have a date. I haven't even been to the PEPC yet as it is the end of this month. I am getting very antsy though. I just can't wait to be back home and at work with the Academy and this waiting torture behind us.

I think that it has been pretty clear that Centers have better training programs and that Terminals are brutal, but if someone is stuck going to a high level terminal, I don't think there is any reason to beat them over the head with conjecture about how they will never make it and it is just a matter of time before they go down in flames. Instead I think they should be encouraged to try their hardest and if they do wash out then it's too bad. Why set them up for a fall and stress them out more than they need to be?

No, I don't have a date. I haven't even been to the PEPC yet as it is the end of this month. I am getting very antsy though. I just can't wait to be back home and at work with the Academy and this waiting torture behind us.

I think that it has been pretty clear that Centers have better training programs and that Terminals are brutal, but if someone is stuck going to a high level terminal, I don't think there is any reason to beat them over the head with conjecture about how they will never make it and it is just a matter of time before they go down in flames. Instead I think they should be encouraged to try their hardest and if they do wash out then it's too bad. Why set them up for a fall and stress them out more than they need to be?

i agree...i have no issues with Level 12 towers. for pubnat1 i was hopin to be selected for Charlotte tower (12) or Dallas Tower (12).

PWM is L7 - lovely tower. I used to live in Bangor, Maine and I did most of my flying as a pilot in and out of PWM. Such a beautiful area!

That's interesting that you would say that. Portland is indeed a beautiful area but I visited the tower a couple of months ago and controller morale seemed really low! Some of the "off the record" comments made it clear everyone in the facility was planning on retiring ASAP.

On the other hand, I was only able to talk to two controllers and perhaps I caught them on a bad day.

also, level 11 and 12 towers are hard. not impossible, just hard. Towers in general are not set up that great for training. its almost all on the job training. so if your at a level 5 then its ok because there is like 10 planes a day, but if your at an 11 or 12 and the controllers who are supposed to train you have to deal with non stop traffic then you wont get the training you need...

Unless your facility has a cool tower simulator like mine :)

I don't expect it to be a walk in the park when I train, but I've heard good things about DFW's success rates for trainees within the tower.

Back