FAA Wings Program

bps12

Have a question about the FAA Wings program for all of those in the know. I was due for a BFR at the end of April, haven't been up since January. I was wondering if the wings program could be applied in substitution for the BFR requirement given my lack of currency or would I still be required to take the traditional BFR route.

Thanks

If you have not started the Wings program you might as well do a BFR now and then pursue the Wings program in the future. You will have to do three hours of flight for wings in addition to ground training.

I does count as a BFR, but requires three hours flying and an FAA ground seminar. So if you are starting from scratch trying to get flying again it is probably easier to do a BFR now and then work on Wings over the next two years to avoid the next BFR.

To count it as a BFR, you need to complete one phase:
-1 hr ground
-2 hrs flight training
-1 safety seminar

Then you go and show it to the FAA via a DE, FSDO, etc. and they'll send you your 'prize'.

[ QUOTE ]
Then you go and show it to the FAA via a DE, FSDO, etc. and they'll send you your 'prize'.

[/ QUOTE ]It isn't nearly the 'prize' it used to be...when the wings program was first introduced, the wings they gave out were probably twice the size of the dinky lapel pin they give you now.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
To count it as a BFR, you need to complete one phase:
-1 hr ground
-2 hrs flight training
-1 safety seminar

[/ QUOTE ]Let's make that 1 safety seminar (or equivalent (some AOPA/ASF online courses count) and 3 hours flight - one hour each of maneuvers, instrument reference flight, and takeoffs and landings.

Back