FAA "Wings" Pilot Proficiency Program

Alchemy

FAA \"Wings\" Pilot Proficiency Program

I've downloaded and am attempting to comprehend AC61-91H which outlines the FAA's Wings program (http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/bna/AC61-91H.pdf). What I am not clear on are the different requirements for each individual "phase". The AC says that to complete the first phase, an applicant must complete:

[ QUOTE ]

a. Airplanes.
(1) One hour of flight training to include basic airplane
control stalls, turns, and other maneuvers directed toward
mastery of the airplane.
(2) One hour of flight training to include approaches,
takeoffs, and landings, including crosswind. soft field, and
short field techniques.
(3) One hour of instrument training in an airplane, FAAapproved
aircraft simulator or training device.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what's different about phase 2? Phase 3? Do you get to "level 20" by just doing the same thing over and over again for 20 years? Is there any advantage to doing this instead of a BFR besides the little pin you get and the fact that you can do it every 12 months instead of 24?

Re: FAA \"Wings\" Pilot Proficiency Program

Yep. Same thing every year. Wings is basically to show that you want to be a safe, profecient pilot. The best way to spice it up is to do a different seminar each year. Last year I shadowed ATC in ORL, and this year I think I'm going to a seminar on the KLN 94. You could also go up with a different instructor each year. That way you'll probably learn something new every time.

Thanks for clearing that up Kellwolf. It seems repetitive but I guess it makes good sense for pilots who aren't constantly working on new ratings.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clearing that up Kellwolf. It seems repetitive but I guess it makes good sense for pilots who aren't constantly working on new ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]Only as repetitive as the pilot and CFI make it. Remember that the 3 hours don't have to be in succession, and they don't have to be with the same CFI.

So, a private pilot wakes up one morning and the winds are blowing hard with a strong crosswind component. He's always been nervous about strong crosswinds, so he calls his local flight school, grabs a CFI and goes up for some practice in the real thing: There's the landing hour.

Besides, other than takeoffs and landings, instrument work and maneuvers, what is there to do in an airplane?

The point of Wings is that pilots who are not getting new ratings or working in commercial environments don't have regular recurrent training (other than a pretty general review every 2 years). Wings is a reward for those who take the initiative.

And apparently, the accident statistics justify the program.

I learned more on my last wings checkride at 8000 hrs than I learned on the first one at 200.

Phase 10 here.

Don't forget that the FAA is stressing this program to insurance companies.

I knocked all mine out last year in combination with my instrument training. If you've never done it, you should try stalls and slow flight under the hood. Just don't eat anything first.....

If you fly corporate or charter, the big school houses (Flight Safety, Simuflite, Simcom) have their programs Wings-approved. All I have to do is check a box on the form that says I want to do Wings and I get the certificate when I complete the program. I'm up through Phase II right now.

Like Tenney said, the insurance companies are paying attention. It seems like the last few pilot histories I've filled out have said, "Do you participate in the FAA Pilot Proficiency Program?"

Back